Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest turkey and questions about stock/gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest turkey and questions about stock/gravy

So I just finished my first turkey of the season and everything went off without a hitch. I was interested in something I heard about cherry wood adding a reddish color, which kind of sounded like an old wives tale, so I got some and tried it, judge for yourself.
    Now to the question. I do mine in the pit barrel so there is really no room for the pan so I have never made the gravy. I want to try making some gravy, and since I make several of these in advance, is there a way to incorporate the leftover/carcass/stock into the MH recipe, or some way to integrate those ingredients as I make the stock so that what I have left is basically gravy? Right now I have a carcass in the fridge ready to do something over the next day or two so ideas are appreciated.

Oh I almost forgot, I wanted to try something a little new, I like the spatchcock for cooking, but I don't really like it for the final look (and the legs flop around a lot). So I took out the spine area as normal, but I did not flatten everything out, doesn't seem to be any reason to do it when you are hanging it in the barrel. End result was a great looking bird (I think so anyway!) that would be good for a presentation but still cooked perfectly.

These Androids do great pics, the focus is amazing, though i'm not ever sure what that focus is actually on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	120440
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	120441

That is a pretty mahogany color for a turkey.

I got some Hickory Lump to try for my poultry.

Comment

Pretty bird.

I make turkey stock for gravy from stock from the carcass of a previous bird (chicken or turkey) along with the bits 'n bobs that come with the turkey. I use the Serious Eats recipe for this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...vy-recipe.html

Kathryn

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good, thank you!

Debating a trial run this coming Monday, may have to copy the spine out/not flattened approach, not sure a spatchcocked turkey would fit in my electric

Comment

Is that a 55 gallon Pit Barrel? Because I use a 55 gallon UDS conversion from Big Poppa's. With that height, I can fairly easily rig a second grill surface that sits directly below the main cooking surface. in my old grill, I actually hung that surface from the upper grill. with my new set up (new as in 2 1/2 years old but different from what I have now), I place a large roasting pan full of water under my meat to catch drippings. the drippings are then cooked down to make caramel at the end and that caramel is used for the base of all my sauces for this meal and meals to come.

Do save the carcass and bits from this bird, as well. If you keep a carcass in the freezer, you can put it in the smoker with your meal bird and it will pick up a great dal of smoke as well as cooking any remaining surface bits and internals in the bones, then use that old carcass to make a lovely smoky stock.

the stock can be cooked down, using the technique I posted in the sauce section, to make your sauce/gravy for this meal. but, if there is any way to add a water pan beneath, you will love trying caramel. I need to do a video on that.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          These are 40 gallon, you could put a tray in below if you modified the smoker to do it, but most of us hang ours. I'll have to do one on my WSM with the pan on the bottom just to compare. I made a great stock out of it, i'll look for your thread about making it into a gravy.

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          My drum, as a 55, has a second set of U bolts under the first set. now, those are meant to hold the coal basket if you wish to use the drum as a high heat grill. but, I took another grill surface and attached hooks onto it. (the lower grill is a bit smaller) and I hook those metal hooks into the U bolts and on that surface, I place my water pan. I'll try to remember to take a picture next time we do a shoulder.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here