Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cinnamon chicken with sweet potato cognac mash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinnamon chicken with sweet potato cognac mash

Hi all,

was so inspired by Ernest's awesome looking chicken I just had to fire up my grill. Here's my twist on chicken, this turned out extremely well, so I really recommend you trying it out. I'd be happy doing it again tomorrow, that's how good it was. The cinnamon on the chicken is a perfect match for the cognac spiced sweet potato mash.

The rub
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoon cumin
    1.5 teaspoon ground (dried) coriander

Mix the spices, and apply all of it on one chicken, inside and out.

The glaze
    2 table spoons Lemon curd
    2 table spoons Hot water

The mash
    2-3 sweet potatoes
    butter
    cream
    cognac

Anyway, to the details. I got a whole corn fed chicken. Did the dry brining for 5 hours, then applied the rub for another 5 hours. Put it on the grill (standing up), using hardwood charcoal (a mix of oak and hickory). I skipped the smoke wood this time, didn't want to overpower my rub. I got my Maverick ET-733 yesterday, an awesome gadget, so this was the first time trying it out. I ran my big green egg at 330 deg F for an hour approx. After 30-40 minutes, I applied the glaze. The glaze is what I believe is a great british product: Lemon Curd. It is a very smooth lemon jam (marmalade), that I believe is perfect as a glaze both for chicken and pork (pork goes really well with citrus flavors). I mixed it 50/50 with hot water, to make it easier to apply.

Well, to match the cinnamon chicken I wanted to to classic sweet potato mash, but the "adult" version. So, I boiled some taters, then pressed them to a smooth mash, added lots of cream, a big hunk of butter, and two table spoons of good cognac. Believe me, this mash is first date / meet the parents material. You won't taste the alcohol one bit, but the flavor that the cognac brings is just plain awesome.

I served that up with some fried tomatoes and broccoli. See the pictures for details. Again, thanks Ernest for the inspiration!

Last edited by Henrik; August 23, 2014, 01:00 AM. Reason: Corrected spice proportions in the rub.

I love anything sweet potato, adding some 'nyac sounds inspired. Everything looks amazing, I'll be trying that soon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here