Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining question

Maybe I didn't search properly but I couldn't find a specific post on dry brining chicken or turkey. I did a google search and there are articles about dry brining and they all talk about crispier skin. That's fine but what about the meat itself? Does the salt and other seasonings absorb through the skin? Do you rinse the salt before cooking? I usually do a wet brine for the turkey breast but was considering trying something different

Originally posted by Starsky View Post
    Maybe I didn't search properly but I couldn't find a specific post on dry brining chicken or turkey. I did a google search and there are articles about dry brining and they all talk about crispier skin. That's fine but what about the meat itself? Does the salt and other seasonings absorb through the skin? Do you rinse the salt before cooking? I usually do a wet brine for the turkey breast but was considering trying something different
    "Does the salt and other seasonings absorb through the skin?" Yes, the salt does. Seasonings do not.

"Do you rinse the salt before cooking?" No ... because I only salt it like I'm about to eat it (raw) so there's no excess. If you really pile on the salt for brining, then rinsing would be wise.

"I usually do a wet brine for the turkey breast but was considering trying something different" I routinely dry brine any bird (or bird parts) that I plan to grill or smoke.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; January 15, 2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

In addition to MBM's comments, a good hack is to DB the bird and put in the fridge uncovered for a few hours. This helps dry the skin so it crisps nicely during cooking. Also, some advocate separating the skin from the meat and rubbing a little salt directly on the meat. That seems like more work than it's worth with chicken, however, slipping in a sprig or 2 your favorite herbs can have nice results.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; January 15, 2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

From https://amazingribs.com/wet-brining-vs-dry-brining/

wet brining tends to work best for relatively lean meats like chicken breasts, turkey breasts, pork loin, and fish. In general, wet brine delicate foods that cook pretty quickly. For everything else, including most tough meats and roasts that take longer to cook, dry brining is the way to go. The one exception: skin-on poultry. There’s always an exception! For skin-on poultry—including smaller parts—stick with dry brines, which help to crisp up the skin. Wet brines just make poultry skin soggy, and that’s a sorry sight on any plate.
        There are some people who swear that using a hair dryer on a whole chicken (or turkey) before roasting is THE best way to get the skin super-crispy. (Be warned, blowing air onto raw chicken isn't exactly the most sanitary thing to do in your kitchen -- if you're going to do this, do it in someone else's kitchen)

Comment

I’ve done both ways, many times. My conclusion, you get crispier skin with dry brine than wet, unless the wet is followed by a rest after removing, but this is at least a 2 day process. I think the wet brine conditions and seasons the meat better, and is much quicker. Since I’m usually planning last minute, I wet brine for 2-4 hrs, and cook at high temp temps, so the skin is acceptable. I use a 5-6% salinity for brine.

Comment

Dry brine yup! I will also slip my hands underneath the skin of the turkey & git some salt on the breasts, thighs & d-sticks.

Comment

To help get crispy skin, you can pour boiling water over the chicken/turkey right before it goes onto the smoker.

rob

Comment

I pull back the skin and apply salt directly to the meat for a dry brine. Put a little on the skin too.

Comment

You can easily slip your hand under the skin of a chicken as well as a turkey, loosening it away from the muscle on the breast, shoulders, abdomen and thigh/leg area. Leave parts of the skin attached in a few places on the front of the bird, though. Use a rub whose first listed ingredient is salt; that way you get flavor on the muscle from the non-salt ingredients plus the salt component on and into the muscle.

Wet brining poultry is a potential mess. Who wants a whole bag of salmonella waiting to spill? The one time it happened to me (the bag slipped from my hands) the counter, cabinet doors, and floor were covered with salmonella water. Ugh. Never again.

Kathryn

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
                    SierraBBQGuy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Roger that!

Another tip, from America’s Test Kitchen, add baking powder to the salt for dry brine on the skin of chicken. Makes it extra crispy. Even if not dry brining, add equal parts salt and baking powder just before cooking. Works wonders on wings too.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    An old Kenji trick (and I'm sure others) as well. I do it with wings for sure.

I don't necessarily agree that salt does a good job of penetrating the skin of a chicken. It just helps to dry up and transform the skin making it crisp up nicely. As others have said, get your hand up under the skin and get your salt and seasoning in-between the skin and meat, especially in the breast areas.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here