Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real Turkey disaster this year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real Turkey disaster this year....

With 29 people coming (all ages) I thought we should get two 20 lb birds but the only ones available were less than 14 or over 25 so we went with two 25 lb birds. Spatchcocked dry brined and smoked they turned out perfectly except maybe the wings were a bit overcooked. I pulled the birds at about 157 in the breasts.

My tradition is to take the leftover meat on Sunday (today) and make a couple turkey pot pies. My secret is to use a LOT of turkey and a little bit of vegetables.

Not enough leftovers to even consider doing this. I think the rule of thumb should be TWO pounds per person.

Happy Holidays

Not having leftovers is still good for the chef ego though

Comment

We cook up a 22-23lb turkey just for the three of us. This guarantees lots of left overs for us to enjoy.

Comment

We’ll be having green chili and leftover turkey enchiladas tomorrow night. They are honestly as good as the Thanksgiving day meal.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got my last Hatch green chilie shipment this week. I'm thinking the same as you!

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I have done that also and you are right!

Be of Good Cheer, my Pitmaster Brother...

They should be plenty marked down turkeys available, at yer local grocer, bout now

Make em into pot pies.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          DogFaced PonySoldier Copy yer last,
          The Wife doesn't want turkey but once a year.
          I am unaware of any currently existin Federal, State, County, Parish, or Local Statutes that would require her to ingest any turkey, or preclude yerself from cookin up another bird, or mebbe even two.

Jus Sayin, Amigo!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood... and we have the same issue with brisket. She's just not a fan (probably I suck at makin' it) and making a big ol' hunk o' meat like that ends up mostly going to waste. We save some and freeze, but it invariably gets forgotten in the depths of the freezer 'till it gets tossed.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to disperse my Initial Gluttony amongst my co-workers, neighbours, etc...

My disaster - I used the same rub I have for years. I have even shared it here. It is a Cajun spiced bird with lemon, lime and orange peels. It is injected with a bottle of beer, 1/2 cup of garlic olive oil and a Tablespoon of the rub. I used a generic/off-brand Cajun seasoning this year. While it is only one of the ingredients in the rub, boy-o—boy did it have a significant effect. Instead of subtle heat, it was a 4 alarm bird. I had plenty of leftovers and no takers (including me).

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          I can concur on the variability in seasoning. We ran out of Tony Chacere's Cajun seasoning once and swapped in Slap Ya Mama - lots less salt and lots more heat made for a very very different cook than we were expecting. I think it was jambalaya that time, no one else would eat it but me.

The clickbait "Real Turkey Disaster" I thought you were talking about cutting off the part that goes over the fence last--the Pope's nose.

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I do cut that off with the wing tips although I’m sure one of those descriptions would be considered offensive in 2021….

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here