Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not proud, but Turkey fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year I butchered the bird before I cooked it. I did it on the wsm at 350-375 without the water pan. The breasts came off at around 160 after hour and a half, the thighs and wings at 165 after about 2 hours and the legs maybe 15 minutes later at 165. It was good, but I forgot it was an injected butterball turkey ( I am an idiot, I had just unwrapped and cut it up) and I salted it. So it was a little too salty, not inedible but salty for my pallet. Fixed that with gravy though...

I was surprised at how fast it cooked. I will.probably do this every year now.

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking about doing the same thing so I can pull off parts when they are done! Yeah, mine was a butterball but didn’t notice any salt. My seasoning was salt free too as I had similar concerns about over salting.

It’s hit or miss for me every Thanksgiving. This year was a miss. I brined, spatchcocked, and smoked on my Camp Chef 24 just like before. This year though we had a cold front with constant wind come through all day. The smoker wouldn’t get very warm for long and holding a temp was a dream more than a reality. After being an hour over due and the bird temp barely raising after 150F, I pulled it and put it in the oven where my impatience pushed it to over cook. It was moist, but the texture was a bit rubbery. It’s alright. The desserts are what people really come for anyway. 😀

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, totally agree with this. It seems I have really good luck when doing just breasts, but some of the family prefers dark meat, so I’d cooked a whole bird. Just frustrating that I tried to cover all my bases, but still a big fail to me! We did have some good pumpkin and apple pie though thanks to my wife!

I dry brine for about two days tightly wrapped. The last 5-6 hours uncovered in the fridge, then wet rub. Even if temps are above 160 it’s still not dry. Yesterday’s turkey was great and came off the smoker at 160 at lowest breast temp. Not dry and no breast left for soup. 😢

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes to both. Salt goes under skin and on top of skin. I start with about a half teaspoon per pound of bird. Usually a little left in the bowl when I’m done. Wrap it in cellophane tightly put it on a rack over a pan so it doesn’t sit in its own juices. Unwrap it and let it sit on the rack and pan in the fridge for the last 5-6 hours. Wet rub under and in the skin. I loosley follow Meat Heads spatchcocked turkey AND gravy recipe on the free site.
      Last edited by Mudkat; November 26, 2021, 01:28 PM.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Find it here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...turkey-recipe/

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL
      Cellophane
      LOL

Mudkat

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here