Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter and rotisseries, do they mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter and rotisseries, do they mix?

So in the past for the obligatory day of poultry, I have made a compound butter, loosened the skin and rubbed the butter between the skin and the meat to fabulous results. This year I am going to deep fry one bird and spin the other on the rotisserie on the KJ. I’m fairly certain the addition of compound butter to deep fried Turkey is as delicious and artery clogging as it sounds, but is butter and rotisserie a recipe for flare ups? Wanted to get your guys’ and gals’ thoughts on it.

Butter is ~ 15% water. I'm thinkin' adding it to hot oil might not be a good idea. However, if anyone with experience is sure it won't be a problem I'm here to learn.

I'm thinkin' ghee might be a better idea - no water in it.

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I hadn’t considered the water content of the butter, This is why we ask questions! Haha I do have ghee on hand, on the other hand now I’m curious for science!

Seems like if you tuck it under the skin it will just escape by the same path in the deep fryer.

rotisserie might be fine but if you clarify the butter first there will be less water to mess it up.

Comment

I go with Malcom Reed's method, a can of aerosol canola for my birds.
      A quick spray every 45 mins or so and no flare ups like you may get with butter.
      Not that there's anything wrong with butter, don't get me wrong....and the canola may be a bit easier on the ol' arteries.

Comment

On the spinner, bank your coals off to the side of the bird so the drippings don’t fall directly on the coals. No flare up. Place a drip pan under the bird to catch the drippings for gravy. Be sure to add water to the pan as needed to keep the drippings wet. Yum.

Comment

• Stuey1515
          Stuey1515 commented
          Editing a comment
          This, except my spinner is gas but same method, everything is better with butter!!

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          What jfrosty said.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here