Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Turkey on 18" WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock Turkey on 18" WSM

I have been grilling my turkey using a Weber recipe on a 22" kettle for over 25 years. Last year I spatchcocked on one kettle and did traditional on the other kettle. Both turned out great but loved the way the spatchcocked one turned out. I was thinking of spatchcocking 2-13 lb. turkeys, splitting at the breast and stacking in my 18" WSM. I have 2 auxiliary shelves, so I would have a half on each shelf. Has anyone else tried this method?

I see no issue with this, if it will all fit. And in this case, you are talking split turkey, not spatchcocked. I cook split chickens all the time, as they are so much easier to manage on the grill or smoker. I used to cook them much more frequently when I had 3 kids at home and all their significant others every weekend...

Comment

@Weber Griller "I have been grilling my turkey using a Weber recipe on a 22" kettle for over 25 years"
      Wow and not overcooked ?!?! 😜
      Last edited by bbqLuv; November 20, 2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll bet he’s starving! 😏

I "chickened" out. I will save this experiment for another day when I am not feeding 30 people. Here is the recipe if anyone would like to give it a try? Apple Brine Turkey

2 quarts apple juice, 1 lb. Brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, 3 qts. water, 3 oranges quartered, 4 oz. Fresh ginger thin sliced,
      15 whole cloves, 6 bay leaves, 6 lg garlic cloves crushed, 12-14 lb turkey, vegetable oil for brushing

In a large sauce pan bring apple juice, b. sugar and salt to boil. Cook 1 minute to dissolve all ingredients. Let cool to room temperature. In a lined 5 gal. bucket add all ingredients to brine. Prepare turkey by discarding fat, removing neck, wingtips and backbone and giblets (boil the backbone and neck and use drippings for gravy, the actual drippings will be sweet and do not make good gravy). Submerge turkey in brine remove as much air as possible to insure total bird is immersed in brine and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from brine and let drain. (Save enough brine for drip pans) Place an 8 X 8 disposable pan with brine and oranges next to the coals on the lower level. Brush turkey with vegetable oil and place directly above the pan on a clean grill grate using the indirect method, with coals split to one end of the grill, with the breast away from the heat source. After about 40 minutes when wings are golden brown wrap them loosely with foil. The turkey is done when the juices run clear, internal temps in thickest part of the thigh 170° or breast 160°. Cover loosely with foil and let bird rest for about 20 minutes before carving. Figures to about 11-13 minutes a pound. Avoid opening lid as much as possible as this extends cooking time. Grill temp 300°-325°. I usually place the finished bbq’d turkey in a cake pan and cover with foil, place a folded towel in a 32 quart cooler and cover with another towel and close the lid. The towels absorb the condensation. This will keep it hot for hours until we are ready to carve and eat.

Comment

• SmokingPat
        SmokingPat commented
        Editing a comment
        Source?

• Weber Griller
        Weber Griller commented
        Editing a comment
        I got this recipe in a Weber news letter "Grill Out Times" fall1999 volume 5, issue 2

• Weber Griller
        Weber Griller commented
        Editing a comment
        I have made changes to the original recipe, with the addition of spatchcocking and learning about the lifesaving introduction of coolers for holding. It takes a lot of pressure off by getting it done early and being able to store.

Here's the spatchcock turkey 2020
      Attached Files

Comment

Finished product. Both turkeys turned out amazing! Happy Thankgiving!
        Attached Files

Comment

Smoked Turkey on the Kettle!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here