Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Rotisserie Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Rotisserie Chicken

Good morning! My wife gave me a rotisserie for my Primo XL grill! I'm excited to give it a try!
    I'm looking for some advice about how to set my fire on my Primo. From what I've read, I shouldn't use heat deflectors but instead just put the chicken on a spit over the direct flames and let it turn on the rotisserie... What say you?

Also, I'm wanting to be sure about the cooking temp at the rotisserie level... I've read 325 is ideal...

Finally, to keep an eye on the temp, my thought was to remove the built in thermometer, and place the pit probe from my Maverick thermometer through the hole... But that means I'll have a ½ inch hole that will let uncontrolled air in. Any thoughts on what I can use to plug it up temporarily?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

I can't help with the Primo, but I cook very hot on my Kettle. I suggest 350° minimum, and I wouldn't upset with temps a bit higher.

I don't know how close the fire will be in your Primo, but you should keep an eye on the bird and if it gets as brown as you want it before it's done, you might need to put the deflector in.

Comment

Perfect application for a cordless thermometer like a MEATER

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use my Meater exclusively with the roto. Works great.

When I rotisserie on my Kamado, I don’t pay terrible attention to the fire really. I start a fire banked back against the charcoal basket and let it go from there. As long as you don’t really load up on charcoal it’ll settle in fairly well.

Comment

Thanks everybody. Looking forward to giving this a go sometime this week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here