Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood fire (sort of) duck breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood fire (sort of) duck breasts

Wanted to get some smoke while searing these duck breasts but nervous about all that duck fat dripping into the fire.. So tried using the same pan/method would normally use on stovetop but over a wood fire.

Cut crisscross in skin to let fat render, seasoned with slapyodaddy chicken rub, skin-side down in the pan and on they went.

I wasn't as patient as I usually am letting fat render, so ended up with more on the duck and less crispy skin than I'd have liked. But result was pretty good on the whole, significant smoke taste despite the pan (cherry wood seemed a good pairing). Moved them from pan to grate for few mins at the end just to sear each side a little more.

Next time I'll let more fat render but will definitely try this again and won't change much else.

Also sauteed some mushrooms in the duck fat which had rendered, which were fantastic.
    Attached Files

Looks like a winner to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here