Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirty South Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty South Gravy

First, I hope this is where this recipe needs to go, if not, I ask that the moderators move it to the appropriate spot. My wife asked that I share this as it is her number one recipe of mine (even above brisket and beef ribs, which hurt my pride a bit) and I am required to cook it at minimum once a month.

Ingredients:

1lb of breakfast pan sausage (I recommend Slovacek’s, but any medium to spicy breakfast pan sausage will do)

2 cups heavy cream

1 large pat of butter

Seasoned salt to taste

Ground black pepper to taste

1 splash (about a teaspoon) of hot sauce (I recommend Trappey’s Red Devil Sauce)

1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup of REAL maple syrup

1 black iron skillet (I use an old No10 Wagner)

Directions:

Brown the sausage well in the skillet over medium low heat, and crumble. Once browned, add the butter and cook until the water is out and fondt (the brown goodies stuck to the bottom of the skillet) has formed. Add the heavy cream and bring to a low simmer, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Once a simmer has been attained, add the rest of the ingredients, and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve over biscuits or toast points.
    Attached Files

This looks interesting, I'll have to give it a try. Slovacek Sausage for the win! I love their BBQ links.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      have 2 dozen of their hot links and one of their round link baloney in the freezer, homey!

Will definitely try this. Love biscuits and gravy. Will probably cut back on the maple syrup, not big on sweet. thanks!

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      honestly I suggest you don't. Try it there at first, it's not overly sweet. The heat and fat balance it out perfectly. Also, if your using real maple syrup, it has a savory quality of its own. If you don't like it, I'll reimburse you the cost of the sausage, lol.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL Okay I'll try. Yes only real maple syrup ever.
      I stay away from sweet BBQ sauces also. Love the savory and the vinegary.

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sausage gravy & biscuits is a Christmas morning tradition at my house, a few years ago we messed up and someone bought maple breakfast sausage since nothing is open Christmas morning i just went with what we had. it was a beautiful mistake. no like texastweeter i add a little real maple syrup every time i make it.

The word's Southern and Maple are an oxymoron. Cane syrup or sorghum yes, mapleno way.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      ce back to us on one of the northern raids from the Civil War....at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! (originally I made it with 1/4 cup molasses, but the maple is even better...) Bkhuna

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      Excuse me, there was NEVER a Civil War. It was the war of Northern Aggression!

Doesn’t the Yankee syrup fight the southern sausage gravy?

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      This time the South gets to win.

I love sausage gravy and biscuits!

Comment

Kudos to your wife, it looks AMAZING.

Comment

No wonder she likes it!

Comment

texastweeter Interesting, no flour? What should the consistency of the finished gravy be?

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            it comes out thick as normal gravy Rfhd69 jlazar

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure

The secret is the heavy cream and that 10 minutes of gentle simmering. If you used milk or other thin liquid, you would probably have to simmer longer and/or use flour as a thickener.

What's the right consistency? Whatever you like best. I personally shoot for a thin gravy texture -- creamy but easily pourable. The biscuits will want to soak up some of that gravy especially if the gravy isn't too thick. But it's all personal choice.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            And it doesn't get too gloopy as it cools!

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with this. It's how I make my brandy creame au poivre sauce for Steak Au Poivre. Just reduce the cream. Delish!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 love green peppercorns in AuPoivre

Oooohhhhhh! Myyyyyyyyyy! I would love that. Darn that my wife is lactose intolerant, and darn that I try not to eat a heavy breakfast. Maybe I'll make it for dinner when she's out of town!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, this you can eat anytime, there is no clock attached.

Try replacing the sausage with leftover pulled pork. Or brisket. My oh my.

Comment

I think my favorite ingredient might be the Wagner 10. 🕶

What I might add to it, as I love to do, is a sunny egg or two on top.
            Last edited by FireMan; July 30, 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              that's actually how I eat it!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I like BSR stuff on my glass top usually, and Wagner in the oven, campfire, or gas range, but that no.10 is the perfect size for this recipe.

Somehow missed this one, what a heart stopper.....LOVE IT !!!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers there are a lot more old drunks still alive in this world than old doctors...I'm just saying.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the GOTEXAN endorsement. Means a lot!

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter i have that going for me too!

The popular breakfast choice at my local Norwegian restaurant is "Ole's Special" -- sausage gravy over hash browns with couple of eggs (sunny side up, of course!) over top. They make the biscuits and gravy version too. It's hard to choose.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here