Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much how i do it.... but it is hard to overstate how important it is to keep that butter cold! I chop mine up first and stick it in the freezer before working it in...

But this is the healthy way to eat my friends! All natural and delicious. Just don't eat anything else all day.

Comment

Looks terrific, good to see you making use of the new gear. Only thing I like better is chocolate gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
        AWESOME JOB Barry. Maybe when I'm down there getting that Lang this spring you can hook a brother up?

Looking forward to seeing this as well. Especially the sausage making part.

Jon, I really hope you can stay with us a day or two. If you stop by on the way down I will go with you to Lang and then you can stay on the way back. We could really cook up a storm then. Of course if you have a travelling companion there is room for all at the Reade Ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
          Pretty much how i do it.... but it is hard to overstate how important it is to keep that butter cold! I chop mine up first and stick it in the freezer before working it in...

But this is the healthy way to eat my friends! All natural and delicious. Just don't eat anything else all day.
          I know I should keep everything cold in the fridge for a few hours before starting. The leavening you get from that is unreal. That includes the bowl and utensils. Put your buttermilk in the freezer and drop it another 10*F won't hurt either. Great point Frac.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Looks terrific, good to see you making use of the new gear. Only thing I like better is chocolate gravy.
            John, you noticed the All-Clad. Before I got it you would not been able to convince me that there is that much difference in cookware. I am very pleased with it and it is great!!

Comment

Dewesq55 commented
              [COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]January 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM[/COLOR]

Barry, I cook a lot with roux (not rue). Might I suggest that you whisk the roux (flour and fat) over medium heat for a could of minutes until it is all smooth and smells a bit like pie crust before adding your milk, wishing constantly. This will make sure there are no lumps and cook the raw flour taste out.

Looks really good, by the way.

I guess I either use to much flour or not enough oil/drippings as it drys out to much. I think next time I will cut down the heat whisk the flour and oil and add maybe 1/4 cup of milk and then when it smooths out cook it a bit before upping the heat and adding more milk. I think the point is let the flour cook and develop first before adding the bulk of the milk. Correct me if I got it wrong.

Comment

Marauderer, you mentioned you haven't had good luck with the sausage you've made. Here's a recipe I've used for breakfast sausage and the book it came from. The book is a very good primer on sausage making if you get the itch to start doing this. Good instruction and a lot of recipes. I think this recipe is very good as is, but you can always adjust the ingredients to fit your tastes. For example I always use more cayenne. I've listed amounts for a smaller amount in the margin if you want to start small to make sure you like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast Sausage.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	60771

Click image for larger version

Name:	Book title.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	60770

Comment

Mmmm... Nothing better than good old fashion SOS. Great post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here