Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fines Herbes omelet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fines Herbes omelet!

Fines herbes omelet!

One of the joys of having an herb garden on the deck is, well, fresh herbs! And one of the best uses for fresh herbs is a fines herbes omelet!

Because chervil is almost impossible to find in the US, I don't have any in the garden; I substituted basil.

I am working on balancing the flavors. Traditionally the blend is 1/2 parsley, and 1/2 a mix of tarragon, chives and chervil (basil), but my tarragon is completely overwhelming the other flavors. The advantage to this is that I'm going to be eating omelets for a while, as I figure it out!

This is what is called a classic omelet, where the pan gets shaken while the eggs are stirred. The more common omelet here in the US is the country omelet, where the eggs are allowed to set and brown slightly. For the differences, watch Jacques Pepin's video on omelets, everything I learned about omelets I learned from this video.

Generally I prefer the country omelet, and I like my eggs without any wetness; I've become very good at the one-handed flip halfway through, so much so that I don't bother doing it over the sink anymore. But the classic omelet is starting to grow on me, as I become more proficient at it. There's no chance of getting Mrs. Mosca to eat one with a soft curd, but I'm kinda diggin' it myself.

i know where i am going for breakfast tomorrow! that looks amazing

Comment

Looks like a winner to me. Mosca - since you like this omlet, you might give Kenji's
      Easy Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts With White Wine and Fines Herbes Pan Sauce Recipe a try. We really like it - it's my go to recipe when I want to spend the time. I do add some sliced mushrooms, (microwave them a few minutes to remove some of the moisture).

Comment

Mosca
        That's fantastic. I love that video. I've tried the classic french omlette several times. I believe my chef friends told me that executing a perfect classic 3 egg french omlette is a required right of passage in culinary school. My results are typically some amorphous blob that stumbles and wobbles out of the skillet and requires tools and duct tape to get it to hold back together. Like to see JP do that outside over open flame and I'm sure he has. Awesome.
        If you wanted to experiment with chervil perhaps you could get dried and rehydrate in some vino bianco. Just a thought.
        By looks of things does not appear change is necessary.
        Thanks for posting.

Comment

I put a little BBBR on my cheese / salsa omelet this morning. mmmmm good.

Comment

Wonderful, nothing tops anything when it is garden fresh!

Comment

Mosca nothing is like the classic in my taste. Peppin is a master. Tru on the culinary school thing. Small pan too. Yours looks great. I love the soft custard, no rules right? Whatever works is right.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                The only thing I did differently from the video is that I did a straightforward fold rather than the pod-looking thing he did. The next one I might do mushrooms and onions.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here