Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omelet solution for Pit Boss non-stick griddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omelet solution for Pit Boss non-stick griddles

Okay, this is really cool.

I’m an omelet guy. I have been for years. One of my motivations for wanting a griddle was to do omelets, and the PB Sierra, with its non-stick surface, is made to order for that!

But I‘d like some options other than letting the eggs spread out all over, then folding edges and rolling like an egg burrito. There isn’t much ability to temper the eggs, even at low heat they’re going to get hard cooked. What to do?

Enter the Instant Pot 7” high temp silicone gasket.

A couple notes: 1) use medium low. Supposedly the gasket will take high heat, but these are eggs. You won’t need high. 2) Now you can stir the eggs while they’re cooking! I used a wooden spoon, but you can use chopsticks, or a wooden skewer. 3) When you lift the gasket,the eggs will stick a little bit. Just tap an edge and the eggs fall away and the gasket comes up cleanly, it’s very pliable. 4) This omelet is a little over cooked for me, but still well within tolerance. I blame it on stopping to take pictures. Things happen fast with eggs.

Also, if you use a lot of pita bread, you know how much of a PITA it is to butter. Well, your griddle solves this like a champ.

Pics as proof of concept:​

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D380AB3-C628-4E08-B053-6AA0BAF42A71.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	1308998

Name:	FA7ADFBD-7EDB-4A65-8B3C-E33ECADBB879.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	1308997

Name:	5A781B0B-9DB5-4C85-AEE6-F92CD6A91720.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	1308994

Name:	8C1E82E9-3420-42C5-9CB7-F7FA4306D783.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1308995

Name:	DE76291C-0293-44FD-B4FC-358F875BB463.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	1308993

Name:	3066B3FC-7A8D-4927-B67C-8CBAF18CC63D.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	1308996

Name:	EED2A5EE-DB78-4951-960D-E780165FB07D.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1308992

Great Idea Mosca ! This is another reason to belong to this wonderful group.

Comment

I have the small gaskets and seems you gotta go really thin so as to not have uncooked egg spread profusely where it was not really wanted.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I just poured in 3 whisked eggs.

Search Amazon for "silicone pressure cooker gasket", they’re about $5 each for 7”/8”. If your griddle is steel, you can probably use any ring, for non stick griddles these are pretty good!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca I'm using them in a small nonstick pan.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, understood. I have slope sided omelet pans I use, one 3 or 4 egg sized and one 2 egg sized.

Love it! Thanks Mosca.

Comment

Great idea, thanks

Comment

Awesome!! I was thinking about that too. You saved me a lot of brain drain. I’m going to order a gasket immediately. Thanks!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Found a 2 pack of 8” for $8.99. 👍

Excellent. Nothing like chasing a scrambled egg all over the griddle...

Comment

Thanks, great idea!

Comment

I am in for the twofer! Tx. Mosca what a great idea!

Comment

This was 2 eggs divided into 3 omelets with 3.5" silicone rings. L-R on the plate, nothing added, cheese, bacon bits. Bacon number firming up in the pan.

Name:	20221017_114558.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1310259 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221017_114417.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1310260

Comment

Very bueno idea..........I'm gonna steal it. Something you might want to try on your griddle that works on mine; I usually do my eggs on the lower left quadrant, the temps are more moderate over there. Gives just a little more time to sneak up on the preferred doneness without overdoing.

EDIT: that might be a way to help make nicely shaped crepes too, we'll see........
                  Last edited by Uncle Bob; October 18, 2022, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I need some help here - Amazon shows gaskets based on the size of the instant pot, not the diameter. Which size IP uses the 7"? Help for dense guy please!

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a 6 quart. I didn’t measure the ring, it just said 7” on the packaging.

Mosca - I admire your ingenuity, but in the event you want to use your Instant Pot, and make an omelette at the same time, what about one of these type rings, or can it not be used on your Pit Boss because of the non-stick surface? It comes in difference sizes...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vigor-10-non-stick-egg-ring-with-gray-coated-handle/473EGRNS10.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	2168836.webp Views:	0 Size:	30.0 KB ID:	1310389

They have LOTS of sizes of non-stick egg rings:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...-egg-ring.html

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are correct, it’s the non-stick surface. No metal utensils. You can buy whole kits of rings, where all of them are silicone, except the big one!

This might be a good place to have some discussion on what looks to be misunderstanding of a kind. The suggestion from jfmorris for the metal egg ring is fine, even though it is metal. The ceramic griddle coating is not so fragile that it can't tolerate a metal object being placed on it sensibly. I suspect the confusion comes as a result of the manufacturer recommending to not use metal spatulas or similar hand tools. If you think about how some folks use those it would be possible to scratch or bang sharp edged tools in a fashion that would scratch or gouge the coating. The more ham fisted a user is, the more likely damage will result. If someone is skilled and uses the metal tools with a reasonable and gentle touch damage is UNlikely. Likewise for devices like pots and pans, or metal rings and elevated racks. If placed on the surface in a reasonable, gentle, direct way, without sliding or applying heavy, direct pressure, then the top shouldn't be in risk of damage. I've used cast iron pans on my top to heat liquids that accompany the other foods cooked on the surface without any damage. I'm just mindful to lift them straight up or down, without sliding. Again, if someone is prone to clumsiness, then maybe they shouldn't attempt that sort of thing. But if you have reasonable eye/hand coordination there is pretty much no risk.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man, I just hate cleaning my glass stove top! I’m going to do these outside until it snows, lol. Then it’s back inside.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mosca its funny how my wife complains about our old black gas cooktop and cleaning it. But, almost every glass cooktop I've ever cooked on is hard to keep clean, just because you SEE every streak. And half the gas cooktops I seem to see have baked on stuff, or flaws under the glass that develop over the burners - like a bubbled paint look but under the glass, following the perimeter of the burner. Not sure what causes that...

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine was good, then got that look you describe. I don’t know how it happened. It would bug me except I don’t want to pay to fix it, so I’m ignoring it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here