Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For Bread Baking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For Bread Baking Advice

For 30 years, my wife has made store bought Rhodes Rolls for our holiday feasts. These are little frozen balls of dough, maybe 1-inch in diameter, that come from most any supermarket. She puts three frozen balls of dough in each hole of a muffin tin, let’s ‘em warm and rise, then bakes ‘em.

They are tasty and they are a family tradition (maybe not in that order ;«) )…so, I figured why not try to make my own. From the ingredients list and the nutrition info on a 3-pound (1,362 grams) package of (36) rolls, I’ve come up with a reasonable starting point and am looking to y’all for comments and suggestions. First, the ingredients from the package:

Flour (with lots of additives)
    Water
    Yeast!
    Sugar
    Oil
    Salt
    Malt
    Other additives, to enhance yeast growth, etc.

The first thing that jumps out as odd is that yeast is third on the list! From the nutrition info, I see that both fat and sugar are two grams per serving, which means 72 +/- grams per 36-roll package. Assuming that the yeast is also "just" 72 grams per package, I conclude that they must use fresh yeast. The conversion ratio for fresh to instant is 4:1, so I’ll start with 18 grams of instant.

Googling around, I learn that a good hydration rate for dinner rolls is 62%. A little arithmetic gives me the following formula:

Flour 698 grams 100%
    Water 433 grams 62%
    Sugar 72 grams 10%
    Oil 72 grams 10%
    Instant yeast 18 grams 2.6%
    Salt 15 grams 2.1%
    Total weight 1,308 grams

The total weight is less than 1,362 grams because I’ve cut back on the weight of yeast by switching from fresh to instant. I’ve omitted the malt.

My questions are:
    1. Does my assumption that Rhodes must use fresh yeast seem sound? And, obviously, my guess as to the amount of yeast Rhodes uses isn’t much more than a SWAG.
    2. Would you recommend using AP or bread flour?
    3. Any suggested tweaks to the sugar or oil amounts or to the ratio of sugar to oil? Since all weights on nutrition info list are rounded to the nearest whole percent, the sugar and oil could range from 54 grams to 90 grams.
    4. Any other thoughts or observations?
    Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Rhodes bread doesn't have a lot of gluten development, so I'd think AP flour would be fine. There are a bunch of Rhodes copycat recipes on the 'net. You could compare your recipe with some of these. Here's 2 possibilities -

http://bethsfavoriterecipes.blogspot...ner-rolls.html This one has 2 eggs in it

Comment

Your estimates look good to me. I suggest making the recipe as soon as possible so that you have time to try other recipes if necessary. Are you trying to duplicate the Rhodes rolls? If not, I'd sub melted ghee for the oil. That will give a much richer taste.

Comment

Thanks, IowaGirl. I think you're right about AP--soft, fluffy, and "tender" is the goal--certainly not chewy. FWIW, I did Google copycat recipes. I became annoyed when I couldn't find one that was weight based (I've become a snob that way--LOL), so I decided to reverse engineer instead.

Appreciate the input, RonB. I had pondered butter, but that would mess a bit with the hydration. Ghee sounds good and I happen to have a jar of it that I made a while ago--it got lost in the back of the fridge. Maybe now I'll use it for other things as well. And, no, I'm not trying to duplicate Rhodes per se; I'm just looking for a "typical" sweet-ish dinner roll that I can make at home and also freeze the dough balls for future use.

I'll try this in the next few days and report back.

Comment

I would use AP. Even with loaf bread, I have found that I like AP better. Many of the bread bakers here may not agree. But after years of experimenting, it works best for me. Good luck.

Comment

For soft, add milk for some of the water (or milk powder).

Comment

I like to add buttermilk powder or use whole milk for my almost-no-knead sandwich bread. I've found that I need to increase the liquid volume a bit if using fluid milk, due to the weight of the milk solids.

This recipe is based on AP flour -- it's got plenty of "tooth" with AP, so I don't see any benefit to using bread flour.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here