Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining BBQ & Bread... Why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combining BBQ & Bread... Why not?

I've been trying to hone my baguette skills lately. There's another breadhead on StellaCulinary.com that is a very good sourdough bread baker. Neither of us have much experience with baguette's, the long skinny loaf's. So we've challenged each other to up our baguette game. He bakes indoors in a convection oven. I also own a convection oven but I prefer to bake my bread on my Big Green Egg. These 3 baguettes were made with a prefermented dough. I took half of the weight of the flour in the recipe, an equal amount/weight of water and less than an ounces of sourdough starter and mixed them together. I covered the proofing container with a shower cap and let it ferment on my counter top at room temperature for 16 hours. Then I added the rest of the flour, water and salt and mixed it together in the same bowl. I let it rest for an hour then kneaded it some until I felt the gluten structure was developed enough. Then I put it in the fridge overnight to retard the fermentation process. Slowing down the fermentation process enhances the flavor of the bread and extends it's shelf life without adding fake additives. The next day you take it out of the fridge, divide into 338 gram/12 ounce portions and shape it into a long skinny loaf. Then you let it rise/final proof and bake it. Today's baguette's came out fine...
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 18, 2015, 05:30 PM.

Neato. When we move to the new house (it has 2 wall ovens), I'll have to try some bread making.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it is just a couple of standard electric ovens. Not sure on the convection. I'll know in a couple months.

Big covered cement patio for stuff like, I dunno, maybe some metal cooking devices. Has a little fire place on that patio.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      A standard oven is good. The fan in a convection oven is convenient for bread baker's. They cook faster and the fan reduces hot spots so you don't have to rotate the bread half way through the cook... Usually. Not always.

Sounds like you have plans for that covered patio. Your neighbors will be kind and friendly to the neighborhood Pit Master.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a mack daddy convection at our new christian school. Even with the fan on low, it blows away (pun alert) any regular oven.

Those baguettes look beautiful - making me hungry . I finally picked up the new oven today.It is a beaut - it is 900 mm or 35.4 inches wide and has convection fan - top, bottom, and rear (behind the fan) elements and can be configured to run either or two or three at once etc. The only thing it doesn't have is wi-fi. I can fit two dutch ovens comfortably. I have some dough doing it's bulk ferment now. And while it's doing its thing i'll sear a steak in the kettle make some sides have some beer - can't get any better than that...

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve Vojtek... You are going to love, love, love that oven. It will take some getting used to. It will cook fast at a lower temperature. The rule of thumb is if a recipe says to bake at 400°F in a standard oven for 20 minutes. In a convection oven you would reduce the temp by 25°F and check your dish at 18 minutes.

I can't wait to see your first boule out of your new oven.

A new convection oven and a slow n sear in the same week. You gonna be a busy man!
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 19, 2015, 10:50 AM.

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead . Yeah i have a bad habit of taking on too much but somehow i always cruise through it. Positive attitude and having fun helps. And a bit of luck. I've pulled the boule out of the oven a bit ago and it's cooling. Will cut it tomorrow and report on the other thread. It looks good.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve... Send picture of crust today and the crumb tomorrow. Just a suggestion. I'm curious how it looks.

Can't wait to get back from vacation and get the bread party started!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      We're waiting patiently for your participation.

These baguettes are out of the same soughdough recipe that Steve is using. I boosted the water/hydration by 20 grams to make it a 70% hydration dough though.

You can shape that dough into any form you want. You can make a round loaf, called a boule. You can make a long fat oblong shape, call a batard. You can make a long skinny loaf, called a baguette. You can make round dinner rolls, hoagie rolls or square sandwich buns. The shaping is the only difference.

Chudzikb... Watch Chef Jacob's video a few times while you are on vacation and you will be good to go after you develop your starter.

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      'Can't wait to get back from vacation' Never heard anyone say that before. Amazing. Can't wait for you to join us...

• chudzikb
      chudzikb commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright, since doing rail trails and breweries in New Hampshire for vacation, I can see "forgetting about this" for a while! Home next Friday, will buy my flour in anticipation!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here