Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever want to sub honey for sugar when baking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever want to sub honey for sugar when baking?

I found a conversion chart at the link below:

No. Sugar is a tenderizer.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Does bakery need tenderizing?
      Make if fluffier or something?

I would say it depends on what you are making. When i am making a cake i prefer the flavor honey adds vs just using straight sugar. Is it appropriate for everything? Probably not

Comment

Not a really great idea, apparently. I just read in Chris Kimball's Milk Street magazine where that is not such a good idea for 3 reasons, summarized here:

1. The fructose in raw honey has a lower caramelization point than the sucrose in raw sugar. Its pronounced flavor intensifies during baking and overwhelms other flavors.

2. Honey is far sweeter than sugar. Every 1 cup of sugar equals 1/2 to 2/3 cup honey

3. Honey is a liquid. Substituting wet ingredients for dry requires adjusting the other liquids in the recipe to balance it out. For every 1/2 cup of honey used in place of dry sugar, 2 tablespoons of other liquids like milk or water had to be removed from the recipe. Cookies were the exception. No additional liquid had to be removed (there is not much liquid in cookie dough as it is). Cookies made with honey tended to be chewier and to brown much faster.

Kathryn

Comment

HouseHomey and fzxdoc I am not trying to be argumentative - just trying to get info out.
        First, here's an article on how to sub honey for sugar:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...ney-for-sugar/

Second, sugar is 50% fructose and 50% glucose according to what I found while honey is ~ 40% fructose and ~ 30% glucose as well as ~ 17% water. The rest consists of things I can't pronounce...

Here is a conversion chart:

https://www.helloflavour.ca/en-ca/ou...oney-converter

I made a challah bread today using sugar, but the next time I will sub honey based on the info I have linked to above because although it tastes good, I have had better. I'd like to make one each way at the same time for comparison, but that probably won't happen...

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Like i said, i prefer the taste of most cakes with some honey subbed in but it took a few tries to get to the ooint where it didnt just taste like honey cake. I imagine in bread that threshold might be even lower for expected taste.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it to it fine sir. I will learn from you. The last thing I baked was my brain.

It will be fun to see the results of your testing, RonB . I knew you weren't being argumentative, that you were just interested in exploring a new direction in baking and pointing us to some good info. Kudos to you for that. I bet there are some instances where honey turns out to be the hands-down winner in flavor and texture compared to sugar. Go for it!

Kathryn

Comment

Thanx all for commenting. You can see the challah made with sugar here. It's #765.

Comment

Unless I want the honey for its flavor, I don't usually use it in place of sugar.

I know the usual sub is 3/4 cup honey for every 1 cup of sugar plus an adjustment for the liquid in honey, but that's just a starting point, IMO, not a sure-fire, works every time proportion. In recipes where sugar is a minor component, I don't worry too much. For example, a tablespoon or three in a batch of bread would probably not be a big deal although the bread might brown a little faster. Subbing honey for all of the sugar in a cake is another story. It would most likely require multiple tests to nail down the proportions to get the sweetness, flavor, texture, and browning correct.

I can't speak to the actual percentages of simple sugars vs. complex sugars in honey and sugar. All I do know is honey does break down easier which means more browning. It can get a caramel-ish, borderline burnt flavor if the browning goes too far. Sugar isn't nearly as prone to this, all other things being equal.

I do use it as a partial or total sub for sugar when making syrup for canning peaches. Honey sweetened peaches are heavenly. (I keep bees, so I usually have enough honey on hand to do this.)

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I think there would be times where quicker browning might be better. It might work well with the challah I made where the crust is supposed to be dark brown.

Good stuff mentioned above.

I’m guessing anything using a creaming method (Cakes etc.) would require the mechanical properties of crystal sugar beating into the fat, so you would need some or a change to the method.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what the article sez.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here