Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tartine book is free right now for Prime members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tartine book is free right now for Prime members

Not sure if this is permanent or not but check this out... Tartine.

Thanks, rickgregory !

Kathryn

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

You can get tons of books on Kindle for free if you are a prime member, honestly I usually just pay for them since I don't know how the authors get compensated if you don't purchase. But I have tried random books I normally wouldn't read and then if I like the book I'll pay for it after the fact or obviously buy other books from the same author.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I do that unless a) the author is stinking rich already (JK Rowling and the Harry Potter book I tried out) or they are b) dead.

• parkerj2
          parkerj2 commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory so by that logic, if you're already rich, you don't deserve compensation for your efforts?

Guess I deserve free food from Sean Brock, Rodney Scott, etc......

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          No one is forcing people to put their books in this program. Most of them are doing it for a couple of reasons... a) they're self-published and want exposure, b) they have a new book coming out and want to get readers for their work in hopes you buy the new work.

If they want compensation, charge for the book. If I feel it's worth it, I'll pay. If they choose to put the product in this program *they're choosing to do that*. Got something against free choice?
          Last edited by rickgregory; January 13, 2020, 05:26 PM.

Good timing as a friend just passed a sourdough starter to us a few weeks ago. Been learning about it and this certainly will help, though a quick read says this is rather complicated (or not?) So far, I've made a couple of loaves of bread - more like a soft french bread first try, sourdough blueberry muffins, and sourdough hot dog wraps. I've been keeping the starter in the fridge and feeding weekly; being I work full time, I can't be feeding daily. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          The basic recipe isn't complicated but does require some patience. He uses a levain to ge the bread rising and making it takes a few days. You could use the rest of the technique with instant yeast, it just won't be as complexly flavored. DO read all of chapter 1 carefully though.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Bleh, 500 char limit... On not being able to feed the starter daily... he has a preference for less acidic breads and notes that long times in the fridge with less frequent feedings will develop that profile. His take is to just remove the starter, take a small amount out, feed it and use it in a couple of hours while it's still sweeter. The discussion is on pp 70-73.

$17.49 now. ☹️

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          So I just went back to Amazon and now it's $9.90

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it looks like the deal is gone. I'd bet you weren't logged in yesterday (or not in the US?).
          Last edited by rickgregory; January 13, 2020, 05:26 PM.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in the US. I wasn't on line yesterday

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here