Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fruit bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruit bread

This is a recipe I came up with, It is like a fruitcake only not that sweet. Based on a soda bread not yeast bread. But I am having trouble getting the amount of baking powder & baking soda right. so any help there is appreciated. Every one that has tried it has liked it. Also have a vegan version if anyone is interested. It is made with whole wheat flower, (I grind my own flower so I know it's whole wheat)

Ingredients

5 cups flour (+ as needed)
    1+ cup dark brown sugar
    1+ cup honey
    6+ tablespoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoonbaking soda
    4 teaspoonsbaking powder
    1&1/4 teaspoon salt

8 oz. Sour cream
    12 oz. buttermilk
    3 eggs

3+ tablespoons caraway seeds
    1 ½ + cup nuts (Walnuts & Pecans mixed
    1+ cup raisins
    1+ cup currants
    1+ cup Cranberries
    1+ cup Dates
    11/2+ cup diced apple (Granny smith) (Or other fruit.)

Directions
    1. Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
    2. In a small bowl beat eggs and stir in sour cream & buttermilk.
    3. Add the egg and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon.
    4. Batter will be a thick cake batter. (Not to dry as the dried fruit will absorb some of the liquid)
    5. Add the raisins, fruit, and caraway seeds and stir well with wooden spoon.
    6. Divide into greased & flowered loaf pans. (or paper loaf pans)
    7. Bake in a preheated 325ºF oven. Until temp in center of loaf is 190 to 200 degrees F. Time may very.
    8. If tops brown to fast cover with foil to prevent burning the crust.
    9. Remove from pan to a cooling rack & add butter to tops of loaf.
    Last edited by Darchie03; January 13, 2020, 04:55 AM. Reason: Redo the formating that got lost when it posted

I like the look of this recipe. I will try it after I get home from this business trip.

Comment

So the recipe is enough for two standard loaf pans?

Looks good!

Kathryn

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        It 's more like 3 But I sometimes use the smaller paper loaf pans & 1 regular pan

Are the fruit bread jokes coming next?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea here's one, "Whose avatar best resembles a fruit bread?"

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman If you had been wanted dead or alive by as many country's as I once was you would not want any photo of yourself anywhere on the internet.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Darchie03 , I know the feeling. 😎

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here