Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time bread

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191013_132048.jpg Views:	6 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	756283Click image for larger version  Name:	20191013_132352.jpg Views:	6 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	756284 this was my first time making anything like this, it was so good ! Im looking forward to getting into bread making alittle bit this winter, anyone suggest how to store fresh made bread? and how long does it last stored????
    recipe @
    Last edited by marshall; October 14, 2019, 07:05 PM.

Looks like a great bake! Easiest to store it in your belly!

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, good point

Wow. That looks so good. It's been way too long since I baked some bread.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I had seen those, too. That was more of what got me going on needing to get back to baking.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Jim. Some day I need to give it a try. It is really cooking and art.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White you probably mean kneading to get back to baking.

That's a good lookin' boule. Homemade bread just doesn't store well. There are no preservatives in it to give a decent shelf life. I normally make smaller loaves and freeze them.For freezing, you can either make smaller loaves to use in one or two days, or slice larger loaves and then freeze. If you slice, the slices do best toasted frozen, but slice them thin.

Of course, YMMV.

Comment

Looks great! Home made bread is so much better than store bought.

Comment

It will stay good about 3 - 6 months in the freezer. Others say 1-2 weeks I find you can go well beyond this.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. Just wrap it up tightly.

Kudos and well done.

Comment

Great looking bread there! I’ve enjoyed this recently myself, and it’s so easy!

I’ve just been storing mine in a zip lock on the kitchen counter, and we eat it within 4-5 days. Doubt it would keep much longer without freezing.

Comment

• marshall
            marshall commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks, good to know!

Looking good. I’ve seen a lot of bread in The Pit, and it’s getting closer to the top of my list.

As for storage, I’ve always been a fan of the bread box. This goes with my theory that the best bread is fresh bread. I never buy (or would make) more bread than my family can eat before going stale/moldy.

Comment

That looks like you'd better bake more. Cant see them lasting long enough to store.
            Baked my first bread couple weeks back and wasn't as daunting as I thought it might be.
            Good job Sir.

Comment

Great looking bread. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks Skip , if I remember correctly (and maybe I don't) your quite the bread wizard yourself, or maybe it was pizza??? lol, can you recommend a good starting book for this adventure in dough?

a little butter, a little garlic, a little merlot, a little more merlot.. Wonderful looking bread!

Comment

That is a great-looking Boule! if you make bread from a starter culture, it is supposed to last a little longer. You can store bread in a plastic bag for a few days. The crust will suffer a little bit, but it will still be good. I often make a loaf and let it cool, slice it up, bag it, and freeze it.

P.S. That bread looks great as it is, but if you want a bit more depth of flavor, you can let the crust get a bit darker. No worries, though. You are off to a great start!

Comment

• marshall
                  marshall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  good advice and thanks, a bit more flavor is always good , I thought maybe it could go a bit longer, will try next time thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here