Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rye Sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rye Sourdough

Started a new sourdough starter out of rye. Day 4, it's starting to come alive. This will definitely call for some Pastrami to be made at some point yet this fall.
    Attached Files

Interesting rye sourdough. I do like rye bread.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it will be cool to see the different ways it can be used, all by itself for crackers, add it into other breads as a partial on the starter just for a bit deeper texture and flavor profile. In 4 days this has really happened fast. started out with 50 grams of water and 50 grams of rye flour.

Lookin' good.

Comment

Have fun with that Starter! You influence me to get mine going again. I dried it and put it to rest for awhile.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I joke that it is time to feed the kids.

That's sounds fabulous.. last winter when I was going to slice my pastrami I stopped and gave something to my neighbor lady who returned the favor with a still warm loaf of bread!! I quickly got the slicer fired up and in no time a buddy and I were in a meat coma. Nothing better than warm pastrami on warm bread!!

Comment

That is a darn nice ferment you got in just 4 days! I made a couple sourdough with limited success. Just not enuf time to perfect. I think rye is a great idea. Post your results!

Comment

You will definitely love it. Rye adds a richness and depth of flavor. You generally need other flours with it, it has a rather low gluten content. Have fun!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_113139.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	752590Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_113124(0).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	752589

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard sorry this recipe posted so goofy but it's the only way I could get it to you--I'm not techy enough. This is my favorite Sourdough Rye Bread Recipe. It came from the Gold Medal Flour Site a couple years ago and now it's not on their site so I took a picture of my printed copy and posted it. Give it a try if you want.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              THank you Skip I will give it a once over and likely give it a try as well.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here