Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dakota Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dakota Bread

This recipe for Dakota Bread is from the South Dakota state centennial cookbook, in 1989. I was asked to share it when I mentioned in a thread about Pizza, that I started using a food processor to make my Pizza dough after I used the Food Processor method for this bread recipe. There is also a non-food processor version, but this is the one I have in our recipe Rolodex, and the cookbook is in a box somewhere yet to be unpacked. This is a very heavy, dense bread. Also, very good. All the ingredients are grown/produced in South Dakota.

In food processor w/metal blade in place, process the following ingredients for 20 seconds:
    2 c. bread flour
    1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    1/4 c. wheat germ
    1/4 c. rye flour
    1/4 c. oatmeal
    1 pkg. quick rise yeast
    1 t. salt

Remove the processor lid and add:
    1/4 c. honey
    2 T. Sunflower oil
    1/2 c. cottage cheese, room temperature
    1 egg, room temperature

In a glass measuring cup measure:
    1/2 c. hot water, 120-130

Replace lid on bowl & with machine running, pour water through feed tube in a steady stream as fast as flour mixture will absorb it. Continue processing until dough starts to form a ball, about 60 seconds. Dough should clean the inside of the bowl. If not, add a little more bread flour, a t. at a time (up to 1/4 c.) through the feed tube and continue processing for 5-10 seconds.
    Remove dough from bowl & place in lightly floured plastic bag. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch down dough. Shape into a round loaf & place in a greased glass pie pan lightly sprinkled with cornmeal.
    Cover with oiled plastic wrap & let rise until doubled in size, about one hour. Brush loaf with egg white; sprinkle with wheat germ, sunflower kernels, or oatmeal. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
    If too dark, cover loosely with foil the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Remove from pie pan and cool on a wire rack.

Thank you, Bogy. That looks delicious. The method is similar to food processor pie crust. With the pie crust you have to be careful not to over process, for fear of getting a tough (non-flaky) crust.

BTW, what capacity processor do you use?

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a 14 cup Cuisinart. Yeah, you want to make sure to follow the times, or the dough can get tough.

Thanks, Bogy...

Comment

Never too many bread recipes...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here