Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifts for someone into baking and candy making?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts for someone into baking and candy making?

Any ideas on what to get someone into those things?

My first thought is the same thing for somebody into BBQ, a quality instant read thermometer like a Thermapen and something to monitor oven temps.

There's other things beyond that obviously but I'm not sure what to say without knowing more like what does this person already have?

Comment

If you want a great baking cookbook I would recommend Bravetart by Stella Parks. Everything I have baked from there has been awesome.

Comment

I highly recommend "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza" by Ken Forkish if she's in to that sort of baking.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        She got me his book on Pizza last year. She is more into sweets than bread. But I would like that bread book! It'll be me who learns about making bread. It's on my list of things to try. I plan to use the Kamado when I do.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack check out Jeffrey Hamelman's book - it changed our lives! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Got that book for my wife this year. Looking forward to stealing it for the pizza recipes.

full size baking pan. also, 1/4 sheet pans.
      A jubilee bundt pan https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/jubilee-bundt-pan/
      Obviously she has a great stand mixer. And a great scale. How about great cocoa powder (valrhona)
      Marble slabs.

Offset style spatulas
      serrated knife and cake slicer https://www.instyle.com/lifestyle/fo...127496#1127496

Comment

Stop by one of the small strip mall candy shops and tell them your wife loves backing and making candy and ask if the have any suggestions. Nothing like asking a pro.

Comment

double boiler? candy/chocolate supplies (like the ingredients)? cooling rack? digital scale for weighing ingredients?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking double boiler...

My wife asked for a marble rolling pin a few years ago. It has some advantages in working with certain kinds of dough (I don't remember specifics). You can also get them with a stand to display on your counter, as some are attractive. I also came across laser cut rolling pins when I was shopping for it.

Here's a little info:

I can be a bit of a nag in the kitchen.   I don't generally care how fancy your butter is, which set of copper measuring cups you use, or if your

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            rolling pins are great. and for the serious baker, there are several different kinds for different purposes. take a look at what they have, what they make and what kind of specialty pins would be appropriate. Marble, hollow pins that allow for differing temp of water, straight pins, pasta pins. all sorts of pins. if they are into cookies, there are some great traditional pins that press cookies, too.

Got a good kitchen scale?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the OXO one Meathead recommends.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff!

Silicone baking mats. Great for working with candies and other sticky things. Inexpensive but pays off everytime you go to clean up your space after preparation. And a ditto to those like EdF who mentioned a quality scale for weighing.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I was going to suggest. They are fabulous to use for any type of cooking!

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            that's always a good thing. again, make certain what they already own, first. cookie and small candy makers like the silpats with grids on them as well. those are handy

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
          Any ideas on what to get someone into those things?
          Stella Parks book BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts

Comment

How about a proofing box:

I was gifted one a number of years ago, but seldom use it because I mostly bake artisan breads that require long ferments. But it is useful for breads that are baked the same day. And I think it can also be used for making yogurt.

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              I have one and highly recommend it. Hard to beat for proofing dough. Use it regularly to make yogurt as well.

I bet Karon Adams would be a good person to ask about this one!

Comment

First, you need to know what KIND of baking they already do and what the ambitions are.

next, you need to know what equipment they already have.

and what kind of things they do the most. Hard candy? Chocolate? Cakes? cake decorating?

your cookie people, a great spritzer for spritz cookies, pipping kits, things like that. for chocolatiers, marble for tempering, tempering pots.

I, personally, am not a fan of single purpose items. but there are some that are worthwhile. specialty cake pans or candy molds, those tend to be single purpose by nature. but really good quality pieces of equipment are always great IF the person in question doesn't already have them. but, it isn't going to be helpful if they're into, soay, making truffles and you buy them a book on cake decorating.

it is really hard to generalize "Baking"

Comment

OH! someone JUST getting into making occasion cakes, think about large pans, 1/4, 1/2 pans and large ring cutters. makes for better more level cakes. bake in a 13x18 pan, then use a ring cutter to cut 8" rounds (or whatever) also, for cake people, Cake Lifter, turntable, cake nails.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here