Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspired by Troutman, Oatmeal Bread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by Troutman, Oatmeal Bread!

As our friend Troutman has stated, not too many people are posting recipes, only pictures of cooks. Well, here is a bread that I have been making for over twenty years, and it is my family's favorite autumn bread.

Ingredients:
    2 pkgs active dry yeast
    1 cup uncooked rolled oats
    5 cups of bread flour
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup warm water
    2/3 cup molasses
    1 cup hot coffee
    1/2 cup boiling water
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1/2 cup shortening (can substitute butter)

Method:

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water

Meanwhile, to a large bowl add:
    the oats, the salt, molasses, and shortening or butter.
    Pour in the boiling water and hot coffee, and stir to melt butter
    Add one cup of flour.
    When the mixture in the bowl is lukewarm, Stir your softened yeast, and add to your mixing bowl.
    Add 2 cups of flour and beat thoroughly
    Add the beaten eggs, and beat to mix thoroughly
    Add the remaining flour, and mix to make a firm dough.
    At this point I usually let the dough rest 20 minutes to autolyze.

If you use a stand mixer, knead on low speed for 4 minutes, then on #2 speed for 4 minutes. You can also knead this dough by hand. When the dough is ready, shape into a ball, and place in an oiled bowl. Place in refrigerator to chill for at least two hours. (I usually let it go overnight.)

When the dough has chilled, divide into two equal balls, and shape into loaves. Grease the bottom of two loaf pans, and place loaves in the pans. Preheat oven to 350 F. Allow dough to rise at room temperature until loaves are 1.5 times original size. Mist the loaves with water. Bake at 350 until at least 185deg F in the center of the loaves, usually about 45 minutes. If you like you can go longer to get a darker crust. Remove bread from oven and allow to cool on a rack before slicing.

This is bread is delicious plain, or toasted with butter. I also love it with cream cheese and jam or preserves. The coffee and molasses give this bread a really rich flavor.

P.S. I baked this in the kamado, so it counts as bbq. 😎

Thanks for looking!

Edit: the original recipe calls for a tablespoon of salt, but I find it way over salted that way, so I cut it to two teaspoons.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; October 10, 2018, 05:12 PM.

That looks great.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

I love bread and have only made it a couple of times. I’d like to give this a try. Ever cook one in a kettle? Thanks for posting this !!!

Comment

I'm hopin someday, here soon, to settle into a point in life where I can enjoy makin artisinal baked goods...
      Got purty burnt out, doin bakin, on an institutional level... still a bad taste, gack, phooey!

Great lookin loaves, there, Brother!

Comment

Oh yeah!

Comment

Good looking bread Thunder77 . I need to try your recipe sometime soon. Great post. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe. Looks awesome I’m going to give it a try this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here