Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Starter Cornbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Starter Cornbread

Lately I have been exploring sourdough goodies, and came up with this to use the starter that would otherwise be discarded when feeding the starter.

1 scant cup sourdough starter
    1 generous cup corn meal
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    4 tbsp melted butter
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 rashers THICK cut bacon
    (Optional: finely diced jalapeño, hot sauce, cayenne, etc.)

Pre-heat your oven to 375F.

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Adjust the batter consistency with either extra buttermilk or corn meal as needed. Don't worry if it isn't perfectly smooth, lumpy is okay for cornbread. Set aside to rest while frying the bacon.

Fry the bacon in an 8" cast iron skillet (double the recipe if using a 10" skillet) to render the fat and have something to snack on. You can thoroughly dry and crumble some of the bacon and add to the batter if you wish.

Keep the skillet over medium to medium high heat and pour the batter in. You should hear a delightful sizzle. Cook on the stovetop for 3 - 4 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the skillet.

Move to the oven and bake for about 20min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Or use your favorite instant-read thermometer and bake until you have an internal temp of 200F. (Funny how that seems to be a magic temp for so many things, right?)

Turn out on to a cooling rack and hope it lasts long enough for you to get some.

This made a perfect amount of batter for an 8" cast iron skillet and I cut it into six pieces, half of which were gone before I could take the picture. Double the measurements for a 10" skillet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sourdough_cb_2018-01-15.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	440637

Thanks, good to hear from ya'!

Comment

I get the "gotta have cornbread" urge weekly.

Comment

Now I also want cornbread.

Comment

Nice to have you posting again, boftx . Thanks for the recipe. Looks really tasty.

Kathryn

Comment

I love it--thanks!

Comment

This sure is hard on someone who is on a low carb diet.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                It's all about budgeting and finding other things to eat. I plan an off day for once every 20 days or so. If 95% compliance doesn't get it where it needs to be, I'm unlikely to make it work and probably need to deal with the big D.

Thanks boftx for the recipe. I will have to try it with my discard starter.

Comment

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me know how it turns out!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yup it do look good. Gotta try it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here