Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And Now for Something Completely Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Now for Something Completely Different

I've been baking for several months now. I've concentrated on basic white sandwich bread in a pan. I use the white bread variation 3 in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It comes out great and makes terrific sandwiches. Even better dinner rolls IMHO. I've been doing everything by hand, which has been very educational.

Thinking it's time to expand I gave the Lesson 2 bread from The Fresh Loaf website a go. It's still a yeast raised bread. Someday I'll try sourdough but for reasons not worth going into, I can't do a starter right now.

The recipe only gives volumes so I over-hydrated. The lessons I learned from hand mixing saved the day. It came out looking good and tasting good. Went really well with dinner. I'm happy with it and looking forward to baking more different breads.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0293.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	368048
    Last edited by gwschenk; August 24, 2017, 08:38 AM.

Ops, Sorry!
    Thought this was my que:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Completely Different 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	368051
    Great lookin' loaf; thanks fer sharin' pics, experience, methods, etc.`!!!

Comment

That's a nice lookin batard.

Comment

Great job! Bread is still elusive to me. But, I haven't really tried in several years. I'll have to start again one day. I think I can eventually manage something edible.

Comment

Too much humidity where I live to do bread.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod, NO SUCH THING! Good bread can be made in any environment. It just takes a little adaptation.

Beautiful!

Comment

Nice. I've started on this as well, but I'm starting slowly. The occasional homemade pizza crust plus my mom's overnight buns recipe. We don't eat much bread, so it will never be the passion that grilling is, but I will keep going.

Comment

Good job gwschenk . Dough and bread are a fun challenge. Great looking loaf!

Comment

Looks great! I haven't ventured into bread yet.

Comment

Very nice looking loaf! If you like to BBQ, (which I assume you do since you are a Pit member) You should try sourdough bread. it takes some time and patience, like good Que,
                  but it is soooo worth it.

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can actually get a starter going, and then keep in the fridge for very long periods of time with minimal feeding. Starters only need constant attention in the beginning, until they are established.

• gwschenk
                    gwschenk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thunder77 OK, I'll have to give it a shot.

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which reminds me... my daughter moved out a left a starter in the fridge about a month ago. Better give her a heads up on feeding it!

That is a nice looking loaf of bread!

Comment

Thanks you guys. Just making regular old pan bread really isn't that hard and the results are something else. Makes it tough to buy bread from the store. Think McRib sandwich versus what comes off your pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here