Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Kolaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Kolaches

We dont do much baking but the lure of the Kolache was just too much!!!
    Ham and cheese and sausage and cheese Kolaches about ready for the oven.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	358891

I'll pay FedEx for the leftovers, but I suppose there won't be any.

Comment

Displaced Texan?

Comment

Wait - I'll go get my bib.

Comment

• SmokenInTexas
          SmokenInTexas commented
          Editing a comment
          You'd be surprised the number of people who have no idea what a Kolache is....and I feel sorry for them.

SmokenInTexas Guilty. I have no idea what a Kolache is........:/

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          SmokenInTexas Guilty. I have no idea what a Kolache is........:/
          It's a German pastry that can be filled with anything from fruit to cheese and everything in between,although the most popular is ham/cheese and sausage/cheese.
          They're a staple in Texas.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds amazing. I have a feeling it was something like that. I look forward to seeing your results! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• SmokenInTexas
            SmokenInTexas commented
            Editing a comment
            You'll have to wait till next time..those are long gone.
            Here's a decent description only it's the Czech description which is virtually the same as the German immigrants brought to Texas in 1840.

• DeusDingo
            DeusDingo commented
            Editing a comment
            sounds like a pasty

Texas-style homemade sausage kolache are a savory twist on the classic Czech breakfast pastry.

Comment

Spinaker me too also! Not a clue. Then their came Texas week n culinary school and a few other Texas themed stuff in other classes. Texas is considered a region of its own in an ACF accredited school. So, so good. I honestly don't know how me and my partner pulled off 140 of them. Da Bomb!

We served 105 for lunch that day so there was a lot of disappointed staff.. we were clueless and followed the recipe with great teachers
            ​​​​​​/chefs. I'm gonna look for photos.

Comment

• SmokenInTexas
              SmokenInTexas commented
              Editing a comment
              And Kolaches!!

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Spinaker me too also! Not a clue. Then their came Texas week n culinary school and a few other Texas themed stuff in other classes. Texas is considered a region of its own in an ACF accredited school. So, so good. I honestly don't know how me and my partner pulled off 140 of them. Da Bomb!

We served 105 for lunch that day so there was a lot of disappointed staff.. we were clueless and followed the recipe with great teachers
            ​​​​​​/chefs. I'm gonna look for photos.
            Nicely Done!!!!!
            Yes Texas is in a world of it's own when it comes to beef!!!

Comment

There's a little store off I-35 in West, Texas that has the very best I've ever had in my mouth. Been too long since I've been there.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                In Hilje, between Victoria and Houston there's a place called Prasek's on Highway 59 that makes great Kolache, as well as jerky, sausage, and lots more. Stop off there if you're ever passing through.

Sounds like it's close to a pierogi.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Pierogi is more like a noodle and is boiled then fried. these seem like a pastry.

• SmokenInTexas
                SmokenInTexas commented
                Editing a comment
                Power..
                It's more like a dinner roll thats yeasty if I had to put a label on it.
                And the Pierogi seems more like pot stickers.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Different countries or cultures have variations along the basic theme we're talking about. In Tibet they have a steamed filled dumpling called a momo.

Yeah the pierogi is boiled. But I have also had it gently in a skillet afterwords to get a touch of browning.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                Yeah the pierogi is boiled. But I have also had it gently in a skillet afterwords to get a touch of browning.
                Kinda like a Pot Sticker then?

Comment

I can't go a day or two at the most without my Sausage/cheese/jalapeno Kolaches. They are a staple down in these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by lonnie mac View Post
                    I can't go a day or two at the most without my Sausage/cheese/jalapeno Kolaches. They are a staple down in these parts.
                    So what part of the Country are you in with a German influence?
                    My Texas arrogance wants you to say .....well Texas of course.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here