Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread

Nothing tastes quite like cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. This recipe fits nicely in a 10" skillet or an 8" skillet if halved.

1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup butter
    1 1/3 cup cornmeal (I prefer yellow)
    2/3 cup flour
    2 whole eggs
    1 egg yolk
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1- 2 tbsp vanilla extract (optional, but I like it)

1 - 4 tbsp honey (if you are a heathen)

Add finely diced fire-roasted jalapeno (peeled and de-seeded) and/or onion if you want to zest it up (but now you are getting into hush puppy territory). Old Bay or black pepper is also good.

Mix all the dry ingredients together, beat the eggs with the wet ingredients, then combine the two. Don't worry if the batter is not smooth, just mixed.

You can grease the skillet with Crisco, lard, or butter, but it is even better you fry up 2 or 3 slices of bacon (not too crispy) and use that and put the chopped up bacon into the batter.

Preheat the oven to 375, and be sure the skillet is hot. Pour the batter into the skillet, it should sizzle. Keep it on the stovetop for 2 - 3 minutes or until the sides start to pull away from the skillet. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 20 - 30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. DON'T over bake! This recipe is not crumbly but does dry out if overcooked.

If you bake this in a smoker, be sure to cover after no more than 10 minutes!

Enjoy!

Tip: If you don't have buttermilk, take 1 tbsp of a light vinegar and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Stir and let sit for 5 min or so.

(Photos are of a half batch in a 8" skillet.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_184333.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	348628

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_184425.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	348629

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_184523.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	348630
    Last edited by boftx; July 16, 2017, 11:05 PM. Reason: Added tip for buttermilk substitute.

That brings back a few childhood memories! Great stuff ...

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost every recipe I have seen calls for a 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to flour, but my Mom always went 2:1. I had to play with the eggs and honey to get it just right.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely going to try this ... thanks for sharing!

Man I love a good bowl of corn bread, milk, and sugar. That was our Sunday night meal growing up. Every other meal was rice and gravy.

Jalapeno's were added if making Mexican Cornbread

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      It ain't chili or stew without cornbread.

Beautiful!

Comment

Soo nice, love that yellow corn bread. I don't have any relation to cornbread at all, it didn't exist when I grew up in Sweden. But once I tasted it, I was hooked.

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Someday I'll share my (wife's) recipe for Swedish potato pancakes.

Love the recipe. Like you said, most don't use as much flour(percentage). I enjoy the jalapeño in mine! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Cornbread can be deadly- it is really hard to eat just one piece.

Comment

That's looks very similar to the recipe I grew up on. My parents used bacon grease instead of butter, and did not add anything sweet. Now I need to make some....

Comment

Did someone say bread...🤗

Comment

If looks have anything to do with taste, well, that thing looks perfect. I think I might try some tonight with the bacon grease. Thanx!

Comment

I love Meathead's recipe for cornbread. I did a six batches for a catering and had the cast iron skillets rotating in and out of the oven pretty quickly. His recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/bread...cornbread.html

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                  FLBuckeye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That being said, I am going to try your recipe next time I make some corn bread

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see the primary difference is the ratio of cornmeal to flour, he uses the more common 1:1. The same add ons work, of course, but my favorite is just jalapeño and the bacon used for the pan grease.

That cornbread looks soooooooooo good boftx !

Comment

I think corn bread and cast iron are a perfect match! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Looks tasty. It's satisfying when you are done cooking and the bread pops right out of the pan. Maybe that's just me.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Completely agree!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aw c'mon, you think cast iron is a perfect match for everything! ;-)

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guilty! EdF

Dang, now I need to go find a 10" CI skillet. Or I could increase the recipe to fit in my 12" skillet. Hmm...I just might opt for more cornbread.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Doubling might work out. If that is too much, just use the extra for corn muffins.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    im on it!

So nice. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here