Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Bread Recipe

I am hosting a Texas-style brisket BBQ next weekend and wonder if anyone has a favorite baked bread recipe to share. My wife has a sourdough starter and there's a few recipes online, but we're hoping to hear from some more experienced folks. Thanks.

You need Breadhead !

Comment

Sourdough bread recipes are all very similar. The biggest variance is the hydration percentage and how long you let the dough ferment.

The recipe...

600 grams bread flour = 100%
      400 grams water = 66.6%
      12 grams salt = 2%

The water, hydration percentage, makes a really big difference. If I wanted to make a extraordinary loaf of sourdough bread I would increase that from 66.6% to 78%.

Notice I didn't list the sourdough starter. How much starter you use is up to the bread maker. Sourdough starter... assuming your starter is 100% hydration, equal weight of flour & water. The same day loaf will take 200 grams of starter. The 36 hours loaf will only need 20 grams of starter.

Do you want to make bland same day sourdough bread in 6 hours start to finish, or do you want to use the same recipe as above, with a little over 2 ounces of additional water, and take about 36 hours to develop some really, really kick ass sourdough bread?

Recipe for the same day loaf...
      • 500 grams of bread flour
      • 300 grams of water
      • 200 grams of sourdough starter
      • 12 grams of salt
      Recipe for the 36 hour loaf...
      • 590 grams of bread flour
      • 458 grams of water
      • 20 grams of sourdough starter
      • 12 grams of salt
      If you choose the 36 hour loaf... I'll supply you will an extensive set of instructions and some videos that will make it easy.

Both recipes require exactly the same amount of hands on labor. The 36 hour recipe is like BBQ... it's low on starter and slow on the fermentation process.

Comment

• Brewmaster
        Brewmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Could you send that to me for the 36 hour recipe
        Last edited by Brewmaster; June 24, 2017, 11:10 AM.

Mike ... check out this thread for lots of ideas: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ourdough-bread

Probably best to read from newest to oldest post.

Comment

I probably shouldn't say this publically, but my favourite bread recipe involves a printing press.....

Comment

Breadhead, thanks for the great response! Interesting thought on hydration. I did a couple of pizza doughs the night before last and accidentally put a little more water than the recipe called for in one of them. The rise was notably faster/bigger and we liked the crust better. We are very interested in your 36 hour recipe and would appreciate you sending it to us. Thanks!

Comment

Mike - Below is a link to a series of videos by Ken Forkish (considered one of the modern gurus of relatively high hydration sourdough bread these days). In them, he shows from start to finish just how simple the process of making sourdough can be ... and how little equipment is required to obtain great results. FWIW, for similar hydration sourdough the process remains pretty much the same regardless of the exact bread formula (recipe) you're using.

Note that in the videos, Forkish is demoing an overnight bread ... neither 6 nor 36 hour.

It's all taken from his excellent book "Flour, Salt, Water, Yeast" ... an excellent source of bread formulas and techniques.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the links.

Breadhead I would add a +1 to what he said. Also, if you are not stuck on the sourdough idea, the brioche hamburger buns on this site can stand up to brisket really well!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I know that Brioche recipe pretty well...πŸ‘

CaptainMike & Brewmaster ... here's what I would recommend you try. Much of this is from Ken Forkish' videos. I added the preferment step just to give it another boost in building flavor. When I want to make really special bread this is what I do.

The trick to making an artisan-quality loaf of sourdough bread is to use high hydration and to slow everything down, delayed fermentation. By using the pre-fermented poolish and sticking the dough in the fridge Overnight after the bread is kneaded, the direct action of the yeast, basically eating sugar, peeing alcohol and belching Co2, is retarded, but the action of the enzymes secreted by the yeast, which break down the starch into sugar, are not. So the end product is lower in starch, with more sugars to feed the yeast. The higher natural sugar content also has an effect on the crust, which tends to caramelize more and develop more complex flavors. The combination of high hydration, a pre-ferment, and delayed fermentation overnight in the refrigerator is a big part of what distinguishes the extraordinary loaf from a really good loaf.

Let's make some outstanding Artisan Sourdough bread by using a high hydration recipe, 78%, and then slowing the process down to give the chemical reactions a long time to fully develop. This bread will taste differently than any bread you've ever tasted because high volume bread factories would go broke if they had to take 3 days to make a loaf of bread. They crank out a few 1000 loaves every 4 hours.

The recipe:

474 grams bread flour
          120 grams whole wheat flour... combined with the flour in your starter, 6 grams, equals 600g = 100%
          452 grams water = + 6 grams in the starter, 78% of the weight of the flour
          12 grams sourdough starter = 2% of the weight of the flour
          12 grams salt = 2% of the weight of the flour

Remember your starter is half flour and half water so that makes those percentages work out exactly.

Before you make the poolish combine all of the flour in a mixing bowl and whisk it to combine the 2 flours evenly.

Day 1...The Poolish, a pre-ferment, a longer fermentation in the bread making process has several benefits: there is more time for yeast, enzymes and, if sourdough, bacterial actions on the starch and proteins in the dough; this in turn improves the shelf life of the baked bread, and it creates greater complexities of flavor.

Making the poolish:

300 grams flour
          300 grams water
          12 grams sourdough starter

Using a large 12 quart round mixing bucket, like in the video - or something like it, weigh your 12 grams of starter and put it in the bucket. Then add 300 grams of cold tap water and stir the starter into the water. Weigh out 300 grams of flour, pour it into the mixing bucket and mix all of your ingredients together using a wooden spoon. The reason for the cold water is we are intentionally trying to slow this pre-fermentation process down. Seal the top of your mixing bucket and leave it on your kitchen counter overnight or about 16 hours. The 16 hours is flexible, don't feel stressed if something comes up. It will get real bubbly and increase in mass by double or more. The yeast in the starter will increase 100's of times during this process so we won't need to add more starter or yeast later.

Day 2... finishing the mixing process. Add the remaining ingredients to your poolish

294 grams flour
          152 grams water
          12 grams salt - wait to add the salt until after the autolyse.

Pour in your remaining flour, and then add the 152 grams of water and mix those into your poolish until you get a shaggy mass. Don't over mix it at this point. Cover your mixing bucket and let it autolyse/rest for 30 minutes. After the autolyse sprinkle in your 12 grams of salt to get even distribution. Then go to the video and do exactly what Mr Forkish does to mix your dough using the pinch method. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HoY7CPw0E1s

Once your mixing is complete then go to the next video about folding the dough. This method works best for real high hydration dough. It replaces the kneading process used in lower hydration dough. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQHuWDEo3SA

You will want to do 4 fold sessions with 20 minute autolyse/rests in between each folding session. When the dough doesn't want to stretch very far and it has about doubled in mass you're ready to do the window pane test. When your dough passes the window pane test it has developed a good gluten structure and you're done with the folding/kneading process. What is the window pane test? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgEeHKTyowo

Final Shaping... we are making a single loaf so just watch the final shaping technique in this video and put as much tension on the dough as possible without tearing the outer skin. I prefer to be a little more aggressive on those tension tugs than Mr Forkish is. Just my preference. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPdedk9gJLQ

Putting your dough in the banneton seam side down as Mr Forkish recommends is important when you first start making real high hydration dough because scoring that wet, wet dough is not easy, especially for an amateur. It can be done but I recommend you wait until you are comfortable making high hydration dough. Having it in your banneton seam side down creates a situation where when you remove your dough out of the banneton the seam is on the top of the dough. That seam is going to be where the steam escapes from your dough during the oven spring process. So having it on top of the dough is important. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and cover it in a plastic bag like Mr Forkish does in the video and then put it in the refrigerator.

In baker's lingo, this is called "delayed-fermentation," and that is exactly what you're doing!

When dough is refrigerated, the yeast and bacteria go dormant, but the enzymes that have been breaking down flour starches into sugar keep on trucking. This gives you a much higher percentage of simple sugars in your final dough than you would get otherwise. The final loaf will have sweet nutty flavors and the crust will get nicely caramelized.

Right after you shape the loaf, cover it with plastic wrap and put it in your fridge where it won't get bumped or jostled. The next day, set it out on the counter and let it continue rising. This will start the final proofing process and the yeast & bacteria will reactivate, it will take longer than normal for the loaf to be ready to bake. Allow for double the time estimated in the recipe for the final rising, and then bake as directed.

Day 3 - Final proofing & Preparing to bake your dough...

Remove your dough from the refrigerator 2 hours before you intend to bake it. Keep it covered on your counter top to warm up so the yeast reactivates and starts the final proofing activity. Start preheating your oven or Kamado 1 hour after removing it from the refrigerator. After 90 minutes out of the refrigerator, remove the cover and do the finger dent test, also known as the poke test. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw

When your dough passes the poke test it's time to put it in the oven. Having your cooker pre-heated on time is important because once your dough is final proofed to perfection you've only got about a 15 minute window until it is over proofed.

Baking your bread... we all have our own way of baking our bread. The no brainer way to create the perfect situation to bake sourdough bread is in a Dutch Oven with the lid on for about half of the baking time. That traps the steam really well and the steam keeps the outer skin of your dough soft and plyable during the oven spring process, which will allow for the maximum oven spring. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rtoMhY0vS9E

In my large BGE, where I bake the vast majority of my bread, I use a pizza stone covered with a large Stainless Steel mixing bowl. It's lighter and easier for me to move around.

This process requires exactly the same amount of hands on labor as a 6 hour same day loaf. The other 30 hours is all waiting for the dough to slowly move through the chemical processes required to develop and abstract the maximum flavor possible.

So... really extraordinary Artisan Sourdough bread is just like BBQ!!! Low yeast & slow fermentation.πŸ€—

I call this my low and slow loaf...πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Have fun, take pictures and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Attached Files

Comment

• Brewmaster
            Brewmaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the great post

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Have fun trying this recipe. I think you will be pleased with the finished product and you will be surprised how easy it is. Doing it all in 1 bucket makes it neat and easy. Take pictures.πŸ‘

Holy leavening Breadhead, that's a sourdough extravaganza! We're on it, with pictures to follow.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            The Breadhead is da man!! 😎

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Thunder77 ... there are a handful of Pit members that have already made this high hydration dough and know exactly how to execute it. Truth be known it's actually easier than lower hydration dough. Mixing it inside the bucket by hand makes it a cleaner and easier process.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have made ken Forkish's Field Blend #2, with varying degrees of success. It really is easy though, as you say. Once you get the hang of the folding process, it's not difficult.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here