Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer In Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer In Bread

For the last couple of months, I have been using some beer in place of water both in the SC SD recipe and Forkish's Field Blend No. 2. I swear it makes a crisper, less chewy crust that I love. I use a very malty beer, Kiltlifter from Four Peaks Brewery, which is labeled as a Scottish Ale. I suspect the malt content is important, so I suppose something like Newcastle Brown Ale might work well too. I have not tried any hoppy beers nor any "regular" American brews, so I can't speak to them. I have used the beer anywhere in the range of 50% to 100% in replacement of water and have always been happy with the results.

Please do try this and let me know what you think regarding a nice, the, crackling crust.

Always have used beer. Wait till you try a good fruit lambic such as a Framboise, or a Kriek in a SD! Just us it lightly. I usually keep these about 30%. Great strong Belgian's make a great fruit laced bread for a nice change.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Aha! You're the guy that mentioned Framboise and pink bread, right? I have a bottle in the fridge awaiting its use soon--and a healthy tasting, of course. Do find beer crisps the crust?
      Last edited by Willy; May 6, 2017, 10:59 AM.

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you are correct! But man I have never not used beer of some sort really so I probably can't say lol. Yep, pink! Hope you like Belgians first because the bread sure will taste like it. Now ya got me wanting to brew, AND bake!

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Now you've done it! That lambic is just cluttering up the fridge anyway, so tomorrow, some in a loaf of SD and some in me!

I have used Dos XX Amber in the past and liked the results. I don't recall any noticeable difference in the crust though. Hmmm - I may have to experiment again... I'd be careful with using a strong flavored beer though - it might overpower the bread. A hoppy beer might work well with sourdough though.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Kiltlifter is just a really tasty beer. I generally prefer hoppy beers, but...Kiltlifter. Maybe it's just the name. lol

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      I am all for trying any beer in bread even though it may over power it. It's bread! A canvas! I brought a strong Kriek (cherry lambic) bread to the family Christmas dinner. Man they freaked out over a cherry bread.

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Now the fruit cake someone brought, THAT was over powering! LOL

Speaking of fruitcakes, lonnie mac , here's a dy-no-mite recipe:
    Fruitcake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    4 large eggs
    2 cups candied fruit
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup brown sugar
    lemon juice
    nuts
    1 bottle whiskey (sample the whiskey to check for quality)

Directions:

1. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again - to be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.
    2. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
    3. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
    4. Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Drink the hole tup.
    5. Turn off the mixer.
    6. Break two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of candied fruit.
    7. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
    8. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.
    9. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or thugar. It doesn't matter which.
    10. Check the whiskey.
    11. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
    12. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
    13. Grease the oven.
    14. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner.
    15. Throw the whole mess in the coven, check the whiskey again and bo to ged.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny right there!

Ha! You had me at whiskey! May give this a go!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here