Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've Come to a Forkish in the Road....(groan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've Come to a Forkish in the Road....(groan)

I just finished mixing the dough for Forkish's Field Blend No. 2. 'Twas easier than I expected. The wet hand really helps! Getting ready for the folding. I am following recipe and techniques precisely, except for halving the recipe.
    Last edited by Willy; March 13, 2017, 01:23 PM.

Post pics!

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      At least one pic--whether the result is good or bad.

Willy ... you've got this! It's easier than you think. Do the window pane test and get your final shaping tight. Remember seam side down in your banneton. All will go well. You're gonna love the texture of the crumb.👍

Comment

Please don't halve the photos Willy. Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

Willy that's so bad it is funny! I too have reached said bifurcated junction in the road, having just purchased Mr. Forkish's book.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          The other book I recommend is Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice". His bagels are spectacular. Why can't I say "spectacular" without thinking of Seinfeld?? (They're real and they're spectacular.)

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy ... I've never been a bagel guy.🙈 To me bagels are just too dense. I'd much rather have a croissant. I know lots of people love bagels but I've never had one that I liked.🤔

His book (and his recipes/formulas it contains) is simply excellent. Pair the book with his associated videos, and your learning curve will be dramatically shortened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ow...AZl6z69kpmUzBI
        Last edited by MBMorgan; March 13, 2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          He is a passionate sourdough bread maker. He devoted a lot of time and effort to reviving the art/craft of Artisan bread making. He's no Peter Reinhart but for his niche, high hydration sourdough bread, he deserves great recognition, in my opinion.

Well, it isn't my best loaf, but I am pleased overall, especially at how "easy" (relatively speaking) it was to work with the 78% hydration dough. Once again, my yeast kicked butt and it went much faster than Forkish's schedule--11 hours from start to putting the loaf on a cooling rack. I put the shaped loaf in the fridge and checked it two hours later, at which point it was slightly over- proofed. No over night for this loaf! I fired up the oven and baked it. It DOES taste good. My next attempt will not include the commercial yeast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Forkish3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	288853Click image for larger version  Name:	Forkish1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	288854Click image for larger version  Name:	Forkish2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	288855

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You could eliminate the commercial yeast plus you could cut way back on the starter and do a 16 hour preferment with half of the flour and an equal weight of water too.👍 That would be a fun project.

Breadhead I grew up in very rural flyover country and I was easily in my 30s, maybe even 40s, before I had a bagel. I love 'em toasted with a big schmear! Reinhart's are the best I've had--very chewy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here