Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boosting Flour Protein Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting Flour Protein Levels

Below is a simple formula for boosting the protein content of whatever flour you have to a higher protein level:

X = (0.775 - D) /(0.775 - Y), where:

X = fraction of the base flour you want use
    D = Desired fraction of protein
    Y = Your flour's protein level

0.775 is the nominal fraction of protein in Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten (75%-80% protein). If your VWG differs, use that fraction in place of 0.775.

Example for KA BF, which is 12.7 % (0. 127 as a decimal fraction) protein. Assume you want to boost the protein to 14% (0.14 as a decimal fraction). So, D = 0.14 and Y = 0.127.

X = (0.775 - 0.14) / ( 0.775 - 0.127)

So,

X = 0.635 / 0.648

X = .9799 or roughly 0.98.

This means 98% of your flour should be your base flour and 2% should be VWG.

Be SURE and use VWG and not some other gluten product!

EDIT ADD-ON: No need to do the arithmetic anymore because a version of this is now in MBMorgan 's and scottranda 's Excel Baker's Toolkit spreadsheet. Find it here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...el-spreadsheet
    Last edited by Willy; February 4, 2017, 09:45 AM.

Thanx for this Willy. I could have used it this morning.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think if I wrote an Excel spreadsheet (it's been years but I think I can do it--pretty simple program), it would upload as an attachment? DropBox is way beyond me.

"Do you think if I wrote an Excel spreadsheet (it's been years but I think I can do it--pretty simple program), it would upload as an attachment? DropBox is way beyond me."

Willy - there doesn't seem to be any way to upload anything but an image file to the Pit. The recent Baker's Percentage Calculator that I developed had to put into a public DropBox folder for sharing via a secure url. It took some head-scratching but I finally got it to work. If you want to do the same, I'd be happy to help you out.

Mike

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll write it and see if maybe a PM to you would work. Should be simple.

I have no idea Willy, but maybe David Parrish knows what attachments are uploadable.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure if you can upload a spreadsheet. Give it a try!

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried; it didn't work. MBMorgan is working on adding it to his spreadsheet in DropBox.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Google Drive is another option.

MBMorgan , scottranda Beautimous job on the spreadsheet! I can see you put a lot of work into it! It's a great tool!

Silly me for not noting it was attached to your original e-mail. Note to self: Read the WHOLE email!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here