Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bagels A la Joe Goldberg, (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bagels A la Joe Goldberg, (sort of)

I say "sort of" because I didn't have enough bread flour, so I added AP plus some vital wheat gluten. I also subbed barley malt syrup for the sugar. And finally, the measuring cup I used for the water dribbled water down the side and I lost a table spoon or two. So I tried to guess when I added some back and got too much making the dough too wet. This resulted in a sticky dough that rose more than it should have.

Anyway, the crust has a great chew, but the crumb is a little lighter than it should be. Taste was very good, and confirmed by my MIL who is living with us until her ankle heals.

One other note - I used the food processor as in the recipe and believe that it's not a good choice for wetter doughs. It does well for lower hydration doughs and for pie crust, but it's a mess to remove from the sharp blades of the FP. My fingers can attest to the fact that you have to be very careful when removing sticky dough from sharp blades - OUCH!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I1130.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	270282

NICE bagels! Joe Goldberg?

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy ~ Yes.

We used the same recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...rg-recipe.html

I don't think ours rose enough, they were tasty but a bit small. Haven't had a chance to try them again.

Comment

Look nice.

Comment

I looked at the recipe and I like the fact that the oven temp is 400°F. Reinhart called for 500°F and the bagels didn't brown well enough within his time frame. I let them go a bit longer anyway, but took them out while still not well browned. I also like that Kenji uses an egg wash, which Reinhart did not do. Reinharts tasted great, really chewy, but looked disappointing. I did use 2% by weight of VWG (of total flour/VWG weight combined) to kick up the protein to 14% per Reinhart since I couldn't find the high gluten flour he liked.

I am suspicious of Kenji's FP bread recipes in that he doesn't call for an autolyse step. I do add one.

Edit add-on: Kenji's dough is 62% hydration, Reinhart's is 57%.
        Last edited by Willy; February 2, 2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here