Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting Help for a Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting Help for a Bread Recipe

We've become BIG fans of Dave's Killer Bread, especially the Blues Bread and the Good Seed varieties. Best I can tell, it is available in most of the US and Canada. http://www.daveskillerbread.com/ It's great sandwich bread, it makes great toast and it has at least a veneer of "healthy" attached to it. The downside is that it costs over $5 a loaf.

Are any of you familiar with it AND does anyone have an idea as to how to make a similar version at home?

Full disclosure: the model for the "guns" on the guitar player was me

...NOT.

From the ingredients list: WW (cracked WW & WW flour), water, wheat flour, seed mix (various seeds), sugar, gluten, oats, molasses, yeast, oat fiber, salt, cultured WW (???), vinegar.

Seems to me that knowing an approximate hydration ratio and maybe the ratio of WW to wheat flour would get one pretty close.
    Last edited by Willy; January 24, 2017, 05:39 PM.

I'm not familiar with that bread, but if you can find a recipe for whole wheat bread that you like, all you have to do is add the seeds and rolled oats. When I add seeds to dough, I soak them first for .5 to 1 hr so that they don't affect the hydration of the loaf. After soaking, I let them drain for a while to remove excess moisture, and then I hold back a little water, (1 - 2 tbls), until I see how wet the dough is. Make sure the recipe has molasses in it because that has a significant impact on flavor.

You probably won't find a recipe with every ingredient in it, but you should be able to come close. Do make sure you add some vital wheat gluten to help it rise better.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I did add the ingredient list and the web site to my post. If you ever see this bread, do try it. It's my favorite--by far--commercial bread.

Interesting - I'd like to try it. I see that its available in Brainerd, MN. So I guess it'll have to wait until my annual Labor Day trip! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here