Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using water (steam) when baking batards, baguettes. etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using water (steam) when baking batards, baguettes. etc.

I'm anxious to start making rolls for subs/grinders, etc, using Reinhart's Italian loaf recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice (just picked it at the library today). He goes with spraying the oven walls and a pan for water, but I'm thinking that maybe a hotel pan inverted over the rolls--simulating the DO idea--might be pretty effective.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Willy; January 10, 2017, 07:51 PM.

I've started using an inverted disposable aluminum roasting pan and it works well. Whatever pan you use, make sure it is tall enough that the bread does not bump the top as it rises.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Now THAT'S a money saver! Do you use (multiple?) quarry tiles? Clearly, my round pizza stone won't work here.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I was gifted a Baking Steel some years ago. I really like it and use it for artisan breads:

Original Baking Steel® is Made in the USA & pre-seasoned with our proprietary oil. Throw away your old stone and start making better pizza, breads, & more!

• SMOG MAN
      SMOG MAN commented
      Editing a comment
      I was doing the same and with good oven spring it had the pan off the stone by a good bit, I use the taller pan now, see post below.

And MAKE SURE you don't pull a Lonnie Mac, and spray the light bulb inside your 500 degree oven!

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Peter Reinhart makes a similar comment about getting water on the see-through glass on the door of the oven. Despite multiple warnings, I have no doubt I'll foul up soon regardless. I'll start searching now for a practical use for shattered glass--LOL.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy - if you use an inverted pan to cover the dough, there is no need to spray. The moisture in the dough will sup[ply the steam.

My oven has a steam cleaning feature, basically you can pour water in a channel at the bottom. The oven fills with steam but an overturned pan still beats it for crunchy loaf crusts. There's just more direct contact of steam with dough.

Comment

I use this to cover a large pizzacraft stone that fits in my oven.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice--cheap, sturdy, and available at WalMart!

Here is the pizza stone I use.

Comment

RonB I have always sprayed the loaf, but ever since I realized how much water escapes during baking, I have wondered if the spraying is necessary. Your post makes me think I'll start skipping the spraying. It seems logical that the relatively tight, closed confinement provided by the DO, bowl, or other cover would be sufficient to keep the humidity high. Thanks for the comment!

Edit add-on: I looked backed at a table of weight loss vs baking time for one loaf I made. It showed a 54 gram loss in weight over the first 25 minutes (which is how long I usually keep the loaf covered). This is about 2 ounces, WAY more than is added by an initial spraying. I'm sold.
        Last edited by Willy; January 10, 2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

It is clear to me that, alas, I need MBS--More Bread Stuff. My Amazon Cart has Reinhart's book (BBA), a cordierite stone (ala @Smogman), and a couche for forming longer breads. Does anyone have any opinions on cordierite vs. steel? I definitely like the price of the cordierite--all else being roughly even--$29 vs $89.

Comment

Chef Jacob has a great way of steaming baguettes in a hotel pan using a baguette pan, ice cubes and aluminum foil. The info on the pan starts 9:30 minutes into the video. https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...basic-baguette

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here