Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Brioche Please HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Brioche Please HELP!

I am making Meatheads brioche hamburger buns. I'm at the stage of proofing. My dough is pure batter. I followed the recipe exactly as written except for the butter. I only used 7 T. because the 150 grams listed would be 10.5T. All of the rest I measured in the grams listed. Is there a problem with the conversion to grams listed? I'm stumped and frustrated.

The weight is always the most exact measurement. Volumes are given for those who don't want to weigh, but it won't be the same. In fact, reading through the comments, there was someone else who noticed the volume was different, and he was told the same thing.

Comment

Breadhead where are you

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I was at the beach exercising by dog on my electric bike and then met friends for dinner. I'm retired... I don't wear a watch.😎 I go with the flow...😎

I was going to say what Steve B said - Breadhead will have the answer.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope so. It is pretty soupy.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Skip... this dough is very loose. That's why you can mix it at a high speed in you mixer without over heating your motor. The long mixing process will develop the gluten strands required to thicken the dough up... to make it shapable into buns. More mixing the tighter it gets.

Well, a tbs of butter is 14.2 g, so the 7tbs is wrong. I wouldn't worry about the imperial measurement anyway. The formula sez the butter weight is 30%, so I'd go with 150 g. However, that is a separate problem from the very slack dough. The total weight of all the ingredients should be 1080 g. So I suggest weighing the dough. It should weigh close to 1080 g. The weight should offer you a big clue to what's going on. By the way - I have written the container's weight on the bottom of all the containers I use for proofing, and that includes the Kitchen Aide mixer bowl.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        😆 you're a smart baker RonB ... I too have weighed all of my mixing bowls and proofing containers and marked their weight in grams with permanent makers on each vessel.👍 Plus 30% of the weight of the flour = 150g of butter. When baking... ALWAYS weigh everything.

Originally posted by Skip View Post
      I am making Meatheads brioche hamburger buns. I'm at the stage of proofing. My dough is pure batter. I followed the recipe exactly as written except for the butter. I only used 7 T. because the 150 grams listed would be 10.5T. All of the rest I measured in the grams listed. Is there a problem with the conversion to grams listed? I'm stumped and frustrated.
      Skip... sorry I didn't see your desperate request for help earlier. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to mix dough and it's not acting like it supposed to.

If... you weighed all of your ingredients and followed the instructions diligently everything should go as planned. There is a video of Chef Jacob making the dough/buns in the recipe Meathead posted, most members don't see it.🙀 Watch the video to see where you might have gone wrong. https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...&v=qVhASbVWvx0

This... is the correct recipe/formula:
      500g Bread Flour
      300g Whole Milk
      100g Egg (2 medium eggs)
      6g Instant Yeast
      15g Sugar
      20g Water (warm)
      8g Salt
      150g Butter (room temp, cubed)
      2 Egg Yolks
      Last edited by Breadhead; November 4, 2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Let's try to go at this semi-scientifically:

We know the formula works - it's been done a ton of times.
        We know that a 60% hydration dough makes a nice dough - not a wet dough.
        We know that butter is about 15% water, but that's not enough to make this dough soupy.
        We know that eggs also contain water, but again, not enough to make the dough soupy.

So the first conclusion we can come to is that the water to flour ratio is not correct.

The question becomes which is off - the flour or the water, or possibly both.

I'm going to make an assumption here - that is that only one is off.

So if the dough weighs more than 1080, there's too much water, and if it weighs less than 1080 g, there is not enough flour.

There is one other possibility as I see it. If the dough is more yellow than normal, you might have added eggs twice, but I don't think that would produce soupy dough.

As it is, I'd suggest making pancakes with it.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm... you're correct thinking that an ingredient wasn't weighed correctly. That's probably the problem we have here. However... if he didn't mix it fast enough or long enough, then the gluten strands would not develop... leaving the dough soupy. Your weight of the dough theory is correct.
          Last edited by Breadhead; November 5, 2016, 12:13 AM.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead - What you say is true, but the gluten should develop over time anyway - like no-knead bread. It might still be too wet, but the gluten development should still be noticeable and the dough workable. Maybe only ciabatta though...

My head hurts just reading all this. 12 buns, $1.19. I'm good with that. I suck.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm... baking bread is an exact science. Throw in some technique and you're golden! It's not for everyone but it's an interesting project to work on while your smoker is running for 14/16 hours to cook a brisket or a pork butt.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus... you can't buy 12 Brioche buns for $1.99. You can't buy the ingredients for that price.🙈

Thanks to all for your advice and posts. I must have measured my flour or ?? wrong. I will NOT give up. Happy baking everyone.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Watch the video. He lays everything out clearly. Let me know how your next attempt works. Take pictures.👍

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here