Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat and White Small Loaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat and White Small Loaves

I continue to practice as the MBMBS bites me one loaf at a time. Wheat on the left and White on the right. Practicing pizza and bread. In a few weeks I will have more time. Then comes the sourdough. Thanks to all of you for the dough postings and advice. Lots to read and learn. Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheat and White Small Loaf.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	223456

Well, it definitely looks like you have not been loafing Skip, or, er, maybe you have... Very nice looking loaves. Thant's an impressive looking rise on the ww.

Comment

Wow. Very impressive. Great picture too.

Comment

I really want that bread!

Comment

Looks mighty fine, Skip!

Comment

Thanks all for your encouraging comments. I'm having fun!

Comment

That bread looks very good, Skip. That's nice looking crust and crumb on both loaves. I've been trying my hand at white sandwich bread. What formula are you using for the white bread?

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Just a simple recipe with a one hour proofing and a short rise in the pan before baking. Thanks you for the positive comments.

Nice looking loaves Skip πŸ‘

Your MBMBS is a fabulous compliment to your MCS addiction. You can make lots of fresh bread during a 15 hour brisket or pork butt cook. Waiting for your dough to ferment while your brisket is smoking is a low stress hobby.😎

All of what you are learning to make this type of bread will make your transition in to sourdough bread making easier. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. We are gone to the northeastern states for a fall color trip. Then time to start the Sourdough Starter.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                We will all look forward to you joining the sourdough crowd Skip πŸ‘

Homemade oatmeal bread. One of my family's favorite Fall comfort foods!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Very good looking bread.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, guys. I edited those pics, and they still came out sideways... grrrr

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice loavesπŸ‘

Those look great Skip! I've also started to try breads recently and made my first ever white sandwich loaves a week and a half ago. Keep up the good work and have fun eating the results!

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Good luck to you as well. Have fun!

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                MattTheGR8

So... you've got the bread bug huh? Be very careful... it's every bit as addictive as MCS.😎 Every loaf you make you get in deeper and deeper. Pretty soon you will get the urge to build a sourdough starter and then there's no turning back.πŸ™€ Welcome to our bread club.πŸ‘

• MattTheGR8
                MattTheGR8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the warning, but it's too late. I've already planned my first variation on the sandwich bread, I'm going to try replacing a bit of the flour with wheat germ to boost the flavor.

Also Breadhead, thank you for all the great advice you've shared about baking breads.

I made two loaves using a formula from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It uses a sponge which sets for an hour, then I finished kneading by hand, until I got the "gluten window", then a 90 minute bulk fermentation, then shaped and panned the loaves, and another hour proofing, then into the oven.

The sponge really helped with the flavor as compared to my previous attempts.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                The longer you take to develop your dough the better it will taste.πŸ‘

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm glad you're getting the bread bug. Welcome to our bread club. I'm not familiar with the Bread Bakers Apprentice but there are many, many sources on the net and in books that are all great. Anything that gets you starter is great. Us breadhead's are like BBQ guys, we like to share our knowledge.πŸ‘

I tried the Italian Bread from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Used Gold Medal bread flour. Made a "biga" and let it ferment 2 hours, then degassed it and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day put it together, using a couple of tablespoons extra water, which seems typical for SoCal. Kneaded it by hand for 5 minutes, let it rest 5 minutes, then kneaded 5 more. Let it bulk ferment for not quite 2 hours. I'm afraid of overproofing. Made a batard and also a pan loaf. Baked the batard on a pizza stone, poured hot water in a hot cast iron skillet under the stone for steam.

they don't look all that good. Not sure what kind of crumb to expect, no photo of the finished product in the book. The batard tasted great, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	biga 002_600.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	229497

Click image for larger version

Name:	biga 004_600.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	229498

Comment

[QUOTE=gwschenk;n229496]I tried the Italian Bread from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Used Gold Medal bread flour. Made a "biga" and let it ferment 2 hours, then degassed it and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day put it together, using a couple of tablespoons extra water, which seems typical for SoCal. Kneaded it by hand for 5 minutes, let it rest 5 minutes, then kneaded 5 more. Let it bulk ferment for not quite 2 hours. I'm afraid of overproofing. Made a batard and also a pan loaf. Baked the batard on a pizza stone, poured hot water in a hot cast iron skillet under the stone for steam.

they don't look all that good. Not sure what kind of crumb to expect, no photo of the finished product in the book. The batard tasted great, though.

Congratulation on 2 good loaves. You're on your way to becoming a bread baking maven.πŸ‘

Using a Biga with delayed fermentation is a great move for a beginning baker. Did the book suggest to degass the Biga? I wonder why? You are going to degass it the next day when you take it out of the fridge and add the remaining ingredients. Just wondering what their theory was on that?

Adding water... hopefully you weigh your water with a digital scale. More water is always better than not enough water. Low hydration dough will be more dense than higher hydration dough. I start every loaf of bread knowing exactly what I want the hydration rate to be. I weigh ALL of my ingredients so I know exactly what is going into the formula. I live in SoCal and never need to add water to my dough... probably because I'm very meticulous about weighing my ingredients. Plus... I mostly make high hydration dough both in sourdough bread (75%) and ciabatta bread (80% to 95%).

Gold Metal bread flour...πŸ‘ I use King Arthur bread flour mostly but Gold Metal is very good too.

"I'm afraid of overproofing"... over proofing (a little bit) during bulk fermentation is not a serious problem. You can punch the dough down after taking it out of your proofing vessel so your final shaping is easier. Where you need to be concerned about over proofing is during the FINAL proofing stage. That's where you run into problems. You can get big worm holes you can drop quarters through.😑 Thank goodness for the poke test! The poke test is a fail proof way of knowing when your bread is ready to bake or when you really did over proof it.

"poured hot water in a hot cast iron skillet under the stone for steam." I've never had success using that method of creating steam for my bread cooks in my Viking Pro convection oven or my large BGE... I bake almost all of my bread on my BGE. Kitchen oven, Kamado's and Brick ovens ALL depend on lots of airflow to produce really good bread and pizza. So... they will not trap the steam you need to keep the skin/crust of your loaf soft and pliable during the oven spring process. Lack of steam means your loaf will not rise nearly as much, the ears from your scoring cuts will not open much and you end up with a low dense crumb and no ears.😑 I use a large stainless steel mixing bowl that I put over the top of my dough after I put it on my baking stone/pizza stone. That traps the steam inside the mixing bowl during the first half of the baking process. That steam will allow your dough to rise more and the ears will blossom.πŸ‘

Again... welcome to our bread baking club.πŸ‘
                Attached Files

Comment

• gwschenk
                  gwschenk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead, I degassed before refrigerating per the book. I weigh the bread, I should start weighing the water, for sure. I bake in Sierra Madre which is very hot and dry. I always need a bit extra water for pie dough.

Thanks for the critique. I appreciate everyone's input and ideas.

Nice looking bread, and I'm sure it is very tasty too. What temp did you have the oven set to? If you want a darker crust, try 400* or a bit higher.

Comment

• gwschenk
                  gwschenk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I preheated to 500 for an hour before baking, then lowered to 375 when the loaves hit the oven.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here