Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non sourdough bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non sourdough bread

First - this post is not meant to denigrate or replace Breadhead's great tutorial on how to make sourdough bread. There is a ton of great info in that topic, and most of it applies to baking any bread. But I'm sure there are some out there who would like to make bread, but don't want to mess with a sourdough starter or, (like me), don't care for the tang that sourdough gives bread.

I made this bread yesterday, and it turned out well, although I was not overjoyed with my efforts at scoring. I chose to divide the dough into two small batards and some dinner sized rolls. The darker batard was baked on a baking steel with steam. The lighter loaf was baked in an covered oblong clay baker at the same temp as the darker loaf, (actually at the same time), with the top removed after 20 min. It actually baked a bit longer because the crust was too light. I then baked the rolls on the baking steel with steam.

If you decide to try this, I suggest reading Breadhead's initial "how to" in his sourdough topic. I'd also suggest shaping as a boule until you are comfortable making the recipe. Then you can try other shapes. This video is great for how to shape dough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y9185.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	222406

Name:	A07Y9182.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	222405

Nice looking loaves and rolls RonB ... You don't have to be a fan of sourdough to join our bread baking club. You're correct that the techniques are the same regardless of what kind of yeast you use. Most of the time I use dry yeast when making ciabatta bread. Scoring is not an easy skill to perfect it took me a long time to do decent scoring.

Comment

I don't normally bake two days in a row, but my wife asked for "her" bread, so I baked this recipe. It's made with organic sprouted whole wheat flour, milk, honey, oil, yeast and salt. She likes seeds in it so I added sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and flax and chia meal. Before placing in the oven, I sprinkled the flax and chia meal on top.
      The sprouted ww flour is milder than either ww or white ww flour, and healthier too. When wheat is sprouted, it releases nutrients that are not available in other flours. Anyway, my wife likes it, and that's what counts.

Name:	A07Y9189.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	222699

Name:	A07Y9192.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	222698

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here