Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Sour Dough Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sour Dough Starter Question

Maybe I've missed something, but, with regard to the amount of starter ones desires, it seems to me that there's a way to save from throwing so much starter (flour, really) away. As an example, if one wants 1,000 grams at the end, why not make 500 gram batches along the way, tossing 250 grams each feeding, then for the last addition, go with a full 500 gram match (250 each of flour and water) at feeding time, instead of throwing another 250 grams away? This way, each feeding wastes only 250 grams of starter (125 of flour) and the end result is still the desired 1,000 grams, plus you've saved 125 grams of flour each feeding along the way. I hope I stated things clearly enough.

Thanks. Willy

Willy ...

If i'm not baking bread daily... I only keep about 100 grams of starter in my container. That way I'm dumping very little starter out during feeding time.

However if things change and I need 1000 grams of starter and have a day to make it... After my dump I just add 550 grams of flour and 550 grams of water and within about 12/16 hours I'll have a little over 1100 grams of active starter that will pass the float test. You don't have to build it up to 1000 grams slowly.

Another note... After your starter is well established from the original build you no longer need to carefully weigh how much starter you are dumping out at feeding time. I just hold my starter container over the sink and dump out all of the starter except for the amount that sticks to the bottom and walls of the container. Then I decide how much starter I'm going to need for tomorrow's bread. If I need 200 grams for my bread recipe for tomorrow I put in 125 grams of flour and 125 grams of water. That way I'll have enough left to feed for the next day.

I hope that helps...👍

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense! Thanks!

Breadhead If'n I could pester you again... My sourdough starter is now ten days old. I'm doing a 500 gram base, replacing 250 grams every day with a 50/50 mix of bread flour and whole wheat (62.5 g each) and an equal amount (125 g) of distilled water. The starter has stopped separating into a liquid layer and looks nice and bubbly everyday. Unless I misunderstand what a stall looks like, I don't think it has ever stalled. It has a very nice sour tang (I'm THRILLED!). It flows fairly easily, maybe it's a bit thicker than a pancake batter. It does still sink like a rock when I dump a bit into a glass of water. I remember that Chef Jacob said it could take two weeks, so I'm not worried at all, but I did want to check in with a pro (that's you) for some feedback.

I've also been doing pizza doughs and cooking the pizza on the grill with a pizza stone and I'm pleased with my results to date, though I can tell I have more to learn--ain't that ALWAYS the case?

Thanks in advance for your time, effort, and advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
      Breadhead If'n I could pester you again... My sourdough starter is now ten days old. I'm doing a 500 gram base, replacing 250 grams every day with a 50/50 mix of bread flour and whole wheat (62.5 g each) and an equal amount (125 g) of distilled water. The starter has stopped separating into a liquid layer and looks nice and bubbly everyday. Unless I misunderstand what a stall looks like, I don't think it has ever stalled. It has a very nice sour tang (I'm THRILLED!). It flows fairly easily, maybe it's a bit thicker than a pancake batter. It does still sink like a rock when I dump a bit into a glass of water. I remember that Chef Jacob said it could take two weeks, so I'm not worried at all, but I did want to check in with a pro (that's you) for some feedback.

I've also been doing pizza doughs and cooking the pizza on the grill with a pizza stone and I'm pleased with my results to date, though I can tell I have more to learn--ain't that ALWAYS the case?

Thanks in advance for your time, effort, and advice!!
      Willy... There's ALWAYS more to learn about bread science & bread making. Even Chef Jacob WILL NOT claim to be an expert yet.😆

No stall... That can happen but it's unusual. You're still getting bubbles but it won't pass the float test. Maybe your stall is just being disguised with mini bubbles.🤔 Just stay the course by feeding daily. I think you're just days away from passing the float test.

Making pizza dough is bread making. You are on your way to becoming a real Breadhead.👍

Feel free to ask me questions whenever you're curious... I like helping beginning bakers. Someone did it for me before.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        THANKS!! I hope someday to pass it forward!

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Great... It's a rewarding craft in more than one way. First you get real great bread that is not available anywhere else. Commercial bakeries would go broke trying to bake bread like I do. The most rewarding aspect of making bread is it totally relaxes me.👍

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Howdy--I passed the float test, tho with only part of the TBSP of starter that I dumped into the water. I am very optimistic that I'm close. Again, I am THRILLED with the very sour taste of my starter. Onward and upward; soon Bay area residents will be envious of the sour in my sourdough! LOL

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here