Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sour Dough Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sour Dough Starter Question

OK, so I've got my sour dough starter stared per Stella Culinary recipe (Podcast 21). The one thing that wasn't clear to me (I'm pretty sure there'll be way more than that soon enough) is whether or not the starter should be covered at this early point. I'm thinking that exposing it to air, covered with cheesecloth to keep bugs out, is the way to go, but then it occurs to me that maybe the starter will dry out. Any thoughts from youse bread folks?
    Last edited by Willy; October 22, 2016, 12:44 PM.

That is right up Breadhead ally! he has written a lot about Sour Dough stuff lately so maybe go search old posts or wait he is usually on and I know will be happy to help!

Comment

Keep it covered at all times to keep dust and other crud out. It's already thoroughly innoculated with yeast from the air and from what was on your hands when you first mixed it. From now on, it'll get another dose every time you open it for feeding or whatever.

Check out this thread for a ton of specifics: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ourdough-bread

Comment

Willy ...

Keep your starter tightly covered at all times. The type of organism that lives in the culture never needs air, Co2. If you leave it uncovered unwanted things can enter it and there will be some evaporation. Fruit flies love sourdough starters.

There's lots of incorrect information on the Internet saying leave the top slightly ajar for it to breath. It's bunk! Don't do it.👍

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I only leave mine uncovered when I want the fruit flies for extra protein. 😜😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here