Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ecstasy and the Agony....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Ecstasy and the Agony....

    (Yes, I know the movie title is the reverse of that, but work with me here.)

    So I remembered late that I wanted to make pizza dough tonight, but I had forgotten to get extra flour. I looked at my current remaining flour and I might just have enough. I needed 300 grams.

    So, I put my mixer bowl on the scale, tare it out, and start slowly pouring my flour in....the scale gets to 90....then 150....and I'm shaking my head; I'm not going to have enough. Then with it all in, including some dusting with a pastry brush to get every last granule in my scale reads:

    297.

    Victory is mine! Wow. Nailed it (at least in good enough for government work...which is a phrase I can utter with all sincerity lol).

    I go to add the other dry ingredients, salt, sugar, yeast. This is a very low hydration dough, so I need half the flour weight of water, which is 150 grams. I go fill up a 1 cup pyrex measuring cup (mistake number 1). I tare the scale again so it reads zero and I slowly (mistake number 2) start pouring it in, pour too slowly and end up dripping water all over my phone, which distracted me.

    Suddenly -- ACK -- I'm at 225 grams!! How? I only poured like half of it in....oh wait. I was thinking a cup was 150 grams. No, a cup is 250 grams. Sigh. Oops. And I was doing so well. :/

    I seriously thought about going to HEB tonight, but it's late and I'm tired and I'm going there tomorrow anyway. Oh well, I guess I'll have one-day less cold ferment. Not the end of the world.

    (There was a window in my life that I should have bought a lottery ticket and it was in that five minutes between flour and water!)

    #2
    Or push pizza an extra night and you have the ferment you want! Cup half full, Michael_in_TX

    Comment


    • Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, I might actually do that....

    #3
    Or have Doordash bring you Dominos......

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Do not like 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

    • Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      lol...the entire reason I am doing this dough is I just can't take another chain-made commercial pizza. They have gotten so bad (and stupidly expensive).

    #4
    Redid the recipe tonight. Came together just fine. In fact, all works out in the end.....I had misread something and would have not gotten the baker's percentages correct last night.

    Comment

    Announcement

    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    0
    Guest
    Guest
    500
    ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
    7