Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Dough Questions for the pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Dough Questions for the pros

I have two questions. First, are there any problems with doubling a pizza dough recipe (I am using Forkish's biga recipe) that I should anticipate? And second, what happens if you let a biga develop longer than the recommended 12 hours? Is there a point of diminishing returns?

Doubling the recipe will not be a problem. I'm not 100% sure about extending time, but generally, ya want to make your dough when the biga is at it's peak. That may or not be at 12 hours depending on the recipe.

Comment

I cold ferment my pizza doughs out to 72-96 hours,

doubling will have no difference in taste,

another great book is the pizza bible.

Comment

Thank you guys. I can't wait to branch out into new books after I exhaust the Forkish method and have some more experience.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          58limited thanks, this is some good stuff!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin that is the book that started me, it is a good book, there is a lot to learn in there.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          As mentioned in the past, I am a fan of American Pie from Peter Reinhart.

I do a 72 hour pizza dough with techniques gleaned from https://bakingsteel.com/blogs/recipe...ur-pizza-dough

Comment

We always double the batch and freeze some of the dough.

Comment

Not a direct answer to your question at all ... but a really useful short article that is at least somewhat on point:

https://modernistbread.com/are-biga-...terchangeable/
            Last edited by MBMorgan; June 5, 2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice, thank you.

To throw one more name in there. This is currently my is mentor in pizza. Chris Bianco’s love for a good pie (and his good energy) is pretty hard to compete with. https://www.pizzeriabianco.com/chris-bianco
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 5, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a good thing I have Prime, lol. I have all the books mentioned in my cart

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve never made it,but Chris bianco’s pizza recipe is online for free.

A clarification - you want to catch the biga (or poolish, etc) when it's pretty much at peak, i.e. the yeast has just eaten most of the flour and is active. Letting it go longer and the flavor likely will turn more acidic and the rise will be less powerful.

The *dough* can certainly go up to 4-5 days because you're fermenting it very slowly in the fridge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here