Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New starter question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New starter question...

So, my starter has developed some funky flavors and while I might be able to rescue it over time, I think I'm just starting a new one. Have any of you ever primed a new starter with a literal pinch (like a fraction of a gram) of commercial yeast?

Hmm. Commercial yeast (like the Fleishmann's Active Dry that I use) isn't the same thing as a sour-dough culture. Really no starter needed with commercial bread yeast, as long as its not out of date. Sour dough starters are both wild yeast and lactic acid producing bacteria like lactobacillus. I use GoodBelly probiotic juice drink to sour my wort when making a sour beer like a berlinerweisse. Wonder if a touch of that and a touch of yeast would give you the boost you need?

Comment

Maybe. Making a starter from scratch usually runs into a slow spot as the initial burst of activity from bacteria that like a neutral ph subsides and it takes a bit for the yeast we do want to grow. One method some people use is to start with a little pineapple or other juice so that they starter is a little acidic (the yeast we want likes acid the bacteria we don't want does not).

I was considering priming the pump and giving the yeast a little bit of a head start. I might experiment and do two versions just to see what happens.

Comment

I see online that some have added commercial yeast to their starters. Although, what some are talking about is adding yeast to the levain or preferment, or adding some at the mix. A few sites say that the commercial yeast will give a temporary boost but in the long run will die out because it cannot take the acidic content of sourdough starters like wild yeast can, leaving you with a true sourdough starter once again. That seems to say that you can get away with it, but I wonder if bread using that starter wouldn't be as flavorful for a while, maybe as long as it would have taken to fix the starter in the first place.

Comment

Never have, but, I would suggest before you do that, take 20 g of starter, mix in 60 of warm water, mix into a slurry, then add in 60 of your flour. It may take a week with a few feedings. But, feeding the 1:3:3 ratio, you carry far less acid over, and will take a bit longer to build, but, I would bet in a week or so, you will have a super sweet starter, and likely even stronger by ditching all that acid load that carries in a 1:1:1 feeding.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been feeding at 1:5:5. The problem is that my starter went bad in the fridge and while I scraped off the stuff on top and built it back, I've never liked the flavors since.

I just started a new, er, starter following this https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-eas...r-from-scratch

Actually, I might document this for a thread here. Hmm.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, if you are already feeding that high. Then dump it. I ran like w months of data on my starter before I baked with it, looking forward to your thread updates.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here