Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough English Muffins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    "What makes English Muffins so different?"

English muffins are a rich dough. Meaning it has a fairly high fat content, butter. It also has an extremely high hydration content. The muffins in the picture above are 90% hydration. Meaning you include enough water and whole milk that those 2 ingredients equal 90% of the weigh of the flour in the recipe. We're going to add flavor to our version by using 15% of the flour as Whole Wheat and 30% of the total flour in the recipe will come from our sourdough starter. Getting those big holes that are common in English muffins is a tricky feat when you use that much butter.😎

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee .

Pretzels... To a Breadhead is simply a shaping technique. Obviously you have found pretzel buns that you really like. You can use any bread recipe to make pretzel buns. I can make pretzel buns with my brioche recipe, my faux brioche recipe or my sourdough recipe. Learning that shaping technique is pretty easy.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    LOL...I didn't think you would like to be call that Huskee I will stick with the chicken King.

• Huskee
    replied
    Funny you posted this, I was meaning to ask you what makes English muffins so different. So I will ask this instead: What makes pretzels taste like pretzels? Other than the obvious being different dough. What's different about pretzel dough?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    You *can't* call me Chickenhead

• mackdaddy
    commented on 's reply
    Great. We will be waiting.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Mmmm... That looks awesome!

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Neither did I until I learned to bake bread. I had so much fun with the Brioche hamburger bun project with Chef Jacob at StellaCulinary.com that I told him we should do the same thing with English Muffins.

Our intent is to make extraordinary sourdough English muffins that are superior to anything you can buy at a grocery store and make it easy to do.😎

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Breadhead; August 30, 2015, 12:01 AM.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    DWCowles

You can call me Breadhead.😎

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    smarkley

Yes... They would be easy on the flat side of grill grates. Use an infrared laser thermometer to get the grill grates to 325°. Use 3.5" ring molds and cook them about 5 minutes on each side, removing the molds when flipping them over. Cook them until the crumb temperature reaches 205°.

They are great for outdoor cooking especially when your kitchen is too hot to cook in.👍

• Breadhead
    replied
    mackdaddy . The recipe and process is still in the development stage. I'm collaborating with a professional baker, Chef Jacob, who owns the StellaCulinary website. He's the guy that helped me develope the Brioche hamburger bun recipe.

We decided that we needed to completely master English muffins. We both agree that they would be more flavorful and unique if we used sourdough instead of commercial Dry Yeast. Our intent is to develop a process and a recipe that is simple for the average home cook/baker to make them. They are easier to make than one might think.

Stay tuned... When we both agree we've accomplished our goal of making extraordinary English muffins we will publish it.😎

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    dagummit... that made my mouth water bad, David Parrish

• smarkley
    replied
    Yeah Breadhead we need a write up in the recipe section... I know for at least part of it, you put them in a skillet on the stove, which leads me to believe we could maybe use a griddle on a kettle or some other cooker for that..

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks DW heh heh

• mackdaddy
    replied
    I'll be over. What time did you say? You have give the recipe and directions to make them. Looks good.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here