Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new to me flour source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new to me flour source.

Our son called today and asked if I would like him to send some flour from a mill fairly local to him. It's Barton Springs Mill located west of Austin TX. I like the site and there's lots of interesting info on it even if you don't buy any flour. They sell mostly older varieties of flour with some newer varieties mixed in. You can search by variety or by what you want to bake. Most are available as either ww or 00, (white), and many are available as whole berries for those who prefer to grind their own.

They ship the same week it's milled, so it's always fresh. It's pricey, but I'm gonna give it a try since our son is footin' the bill.
    They have flat rate $5 shipping, but I'm not sure if that is per bag or per order.

I'll let you know how it turns out when I bake something.

Our heirloom & modern grains get you baking the way only great grandmother could. See our selection, try a recipe, take a class, or tour the mill.

Very cool. I watched a tv show on PBS a month or so back which visited them. They looked like a top notch operation. If I remember correctly they are providing grains to some craft distilleries around Austin.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      PBS, PBS,......wait. what?

Most interestin stuff, lookin forward to some bakes an reviews...

Comment

Cool flour list. Some heirloom stuff (Turkey Red) etc. Everyone should check to see if they have local mills - a surprising number are out there and I'd bet most major metro areas have at least a couple within 50 miles or so

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        There used to be one 30 min from us and I knew the family that ran it. However, it closed a number of years ago and the mill was converted to a house. And then the house burned down a few years ago...

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - ouch. That's tragic on a few levels.

Following. Thank you.

Comment

This arrived today. Stand by for a report - it may take a week or two, or it could be tomorrow...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_134252[1].jpg
Views:	172
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1009305

Comment

Following!

Comment

OK folks. I made the Japanese Milk Bread as rolls today using the above flour. They are very good, but I'm not sure if they are better than ones made with KA bread flour. I'm going to make baguettes shaped as rolls hopefully in the near future, but I'm not sure exactly when...

And I bought a 12" X 18" pan so I could fit a double recipe in one pan. I normally double whatever recipe I'm making since I've got everything out anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_150632[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1009970
            Last edited by RonB; March 28, 2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here