Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear using a Pit Barrel Cooker and a Weber Kettle 18.5” - PICS FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear using a Pit Barrel Cooker and a Weber Kettle 18.5” - PICS FIXED

The following cook owes much to many articles on our website but I would like to specifically give credit to this article: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...se_steaks.html

The goal for this cook was to attempt a reverse sear using the Pit Barrel to cook low and slow and a Weber Kettle to finish off with the sear. Up for consumption: two 1.5” Angus New York Strip Steaks. I picked the best 2 of the 20 steaks the butcher had in the case. Hopefully justice was done to them.

PBC (Low and Slow) - I started with 18 fully lit Kingsford briquettes in the PBC. Temps headed north of 240F so I took a few briquettes out at a time until I had 12 briquettes in the PBC and a steady temp of 230F (close enough to 225F for me). I then added 5 small chunks of hickory to the fire and threw the NY strips on the PBC grate to smoke at 225F (Lid fully closed and rebar in). The temps on the PBC remained steady around 190F and never climbed over 192F. I decided to let this pit temp run its course as the steaks were heating up rather quickly. They got up to 110F in 41 minutes.

Weber (Sear) – Once the steaks hit 90F I lit about a 7/8ths full chimney of briquettes and used my BBQ Dragon to get the charcoal up to temp quickly. I cannot say enough for the Dragon’s ability to heat up charcoal in a hurry. It has to be seen to be believed and this cook would not have been possible in the time it took me if it had not been for the Dragon. By the time the steaks hit 110F the coals were almost ready, so I put the steaks on a plate to sit, then dumped the chimney into the Weber. I hit the coals with the Dragon for about two minutes until they were SUPERNOVA HOT. Steaks on… flipped every 75 seconds until the 5 minutes point where they hit 130F. Total cook time was 55 minutes.

I served the steaks with Arugula salad, Tomato Mozzarella Basil, and Duckhorn Chardonnay. The steaks were melt in your mouth tender and the exterior was perfect for my wife’s taste (which means not as charred as I’d like but still pretty dang good=)). She even liked the smoke flavor from the hickory

Two surprises here:
    1. Over a short time period the PBC will maintain a low and slow temp on a VERY small amount of charcoal (12 briquettes)
    2. The PBC at low and slow temps cooks steak more quickly than any of my other more conventional grills.
    Once the cook was done I still had most of the charcoal left over in the weber, so I let it stay warm for a couple of hours until later in the evening. We invited some relatives over and had S’mores! Pics!

The Sun set during the cook: Click image for larger version

Name:	RgIkJd.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	6481

12 briquettes were used for the low and slow potion of the cook (I took a few out after this pic) Click image for larger version

Name:	AAYLw7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	6482

I used Weber Kettle Charcoal rails to get a nice pile of charcoal just under the grate for the sear Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk35x1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	6483

Steaks came off at 130F, medium rare Click image for larger version

Name:	L2lxLH.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	6484

Plated with sides. Click image for larger version

Name:	laDkXS.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	6485

This is the browning level preferred by my better half. Click image for larger version

Name:	6hw7hZ.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	6486

Note the trademark wall to wall red from the low and slow cook in the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	S4WWio.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	6487

Relatives came over and we fed them S'mores. The kid is my son Ryan. Click image for larger version

Name:	7V9QPo.jpg
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	6488

Nice pic of the neighbors. You didn't tell me you moved to Del Boca Vista, Florida.

Superb write up, I wouldn't expect anything less.

You sure there are only 12 briquettes in that pic??
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 12, 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      This is phase 2, there was no more room in phase 1

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you been stealing funds from the treasury to buy your Cadillac, Morty?

Man This is an awesome spread. LOVE the plating pic. Oh and every other pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      You sure there are only 12 briquettes in that pic??
      Haha you caught me. I must have taken the pic before I took the final few pieces of coal off. It really was twelve when I threw the meat on, scout's honor!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        Man This is an awesome spread. LOVE the plating pic. Oh and every other pic.
        Thank you Sir!

Comment

OMG that steak looks sooooo awesome!!!

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Sir. It was every bit as good as it looks!

Man that looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
            Man that looks good!
            On a $80 Weber Kettle no less. It's the technique, not the grill.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeppers, you got that right!

• Timkatt
              Timkatt commented
              Editing a comment
              Almost, I was cooking at my cottage on a grill my uncle bought. It did the reverse right, but it never got hot enough to get a good sear.

There is a small local restaurant that (on Sunday) serves a "grilled prime rib" when they have some left-over from their Saturday servings. I expect that is in a similar vein (no pun intended) to this technique (cannot call it the same thing to be sure). An low/slow roast topped off by a sear on the outside. A friend of tried it and pronounced it quite good... although I've never tried it. I did something similar once on my gasser (which has an infrared searing side burner) with leftover leg of lamb. The result was surprisingly good... but having been cooked, gone cold, then cooked again, it was definitely hit and miss to be sure.

By similar, I guess you could say: "...something almost, but not quite, totally unlike the technique presented here..."!

Comment

[QUOTE=Pics!

The Sun set during the cook:

12 briquettes were used for the low and slow potion of the cook

I used Weber Kettle Charcoal rails to get a nice pile of charcoal just under the grate for the sear

Steaks came off at 130F, medium rare

Plated with sides.

This is the browning level preferred by my better half.

Note the trademark wall to wall red from the low and slow cook in the front.

Relatives came over and we fed them S'mores. The kid is my son Ryan.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see any pics!

Comment

Matt the pics were deleted this weekend when we made several significant improvements to our picture hosting functionality. I will have to reupload them. I'm out of town this week so it won't be until this Friday at the earliest.

Comment

David,

Regarding the BBQ Dragon, how was it used in this application? Do you mount it on the chimney after lighting the coals from beneath, or did you mount it on the Kettle after they were already ashed-over in the chimney and dumped into the Kettle? Forgive the dumb questions - this is the first I've heard about the BBQD.

--antony

Comment

TRT Welcome to the Pit! Interesting this is the first post you looked at. I'm honored! Please also take a look at my Welcome letter as well as tips topic in this channel: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/main

There are many ways to use the dragon. Here's a video of just one of them:

Comment

I use my 22.5"Weber with the Smokenator and Party Q for the low and slow part of the cook. When it hits 110, I transfer to my other Weber with bricks under the coal grate to raise within a couple of inched of the food grate. I have a full chimneys worth of grey coals and have found turning every 30 seconds works best for me. I do get the occasional flare up but have a squirt bottle nearby to deal with those. Only on the grill for a couple of minutes to get to my preferred temp of 130 degrees.
                      Love this technique as do my friends and family

Comment

FLB that sounds like a winning combination.

You need to check out Tip #1 in this thread: Tips

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                          FLBuckeye commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There is no link to your Tips

• David Parrish
                          David Parrish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Try it now.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here