Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami – Sous Vide, Smoked and Steamed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami – Sous Vide, Smoked and Steamed

I posted in the Introduction board pictures of a recent pastrami I made via Sous Vide, Smoking and Steaming and figured I would post the entire process and the pics so everyone can see.

I started with a roughly 8lb choice brisket from Costco. Out here they don’t sell whole briskets or points, but the flat I bought had a decent portion of the point still attached.

I cured the brisket for a week using the following brine:

2 gallon of water
    400 grams kosher salt
    200 grams sugar
    4 tsp pink curing salt
    4 TBS pickling spice (a homemade blend of peppercorns, mustard seed, coriander seed, red pepper flakes, allspice and bay leaves)

After curing, I desalinated it overnight before bagging it and cooking it sous vide.
    Cooked it at 150 degrees for 24 hours and the put it in an ice bath and into the fridge for a day.

Then I rubbed it with my preferred pastrami rub of equal parts coriander seed and black pepper.
    About 2-2 1/2 TBS each was enough to cover the beef.

Let that sit overnight in the fridge and then I smoked it at about 275 degrees (wanted to go lower but was having trouble keeping the temp down in my WSM) for about 2-3 hours until the temp hit 175 degrees.

One half of the pastrami then went into a pot to steam until it was super tender, maybe another 30 minutes.

The other half went into the fridge after smoking. Each meal thereafter, the pastrami was sliced while cold and then the slices were steamed to temp.

Big fan of the results. Even while nibbling on the cold slices they were great and steaming them just put it over the top. Super tender, good salty/cured flavor. I wish I could get a whole brisket (or at least one with more point) but haven't had much luck out here in NY.

Pics are below

Brisket halves post-sous vide. Rubbed with coriander/black pepper rub and put in refrigerator overnight. This is on the way to the smoker

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4878.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	350481

This is the half that I steamed right of the smoker

Name:	IMG_4879.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	350485

Sandwich - club roll and Guldens mustard only with sour pickles on the side

Name:	IMG_4889.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	350483

2nd half. Because this half had some of the point I cut into this half into smaller pieces so each slice would be cut across the grain.

Name:	IMG_4888.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	350486
    Attached Files

Righteous!

Comment

Lookin GOOD! Congrats!

Comment

Ohmigosh, that looks good! How was the bark--did it stay on well through the steaming process?

Kathryn

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, no issues with the crust/bark coming off. Of course it got soft from the steam but stayed intact on all the slices.

That looks great. I need to make pastrami again...

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

Nice work my friend. Thank you for posting. I have not done the SV thing yet.

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Looks awesome I need to try this out.

Comment

Nice work on the "corn"ing of the beef. Great color! Looks super tasty. As a New England guy I appreciate the Gulden's usage . congrats.

Comment

Literally have a SRF Corned Beef sitting in my freezer waiting for this treatment, thanks for directions!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here