Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon durgin-park boston baked beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon durgin-park boston baked beans

THE HIRSHON DURGIN-PARK BOSTON BAKED BEANS

January 9, 2019

Baked Bean Image Used Under Creative Commons License From huonvalleymidwinterfest.com.au

Citizens, today is a day of great mourning here in the secret lair of TFD, perched on-high at the summit of Mount Erebus amidst the howling winds and bone-chilling snows of Antarctica! Here, where plotting culinary world domination has long been a fixture amidst song and revelry, now reigns only silence and the occasional sound of wistful sighs.

This week, I discovered that a fixture of the Boston restaurant scene and one of the oldest restaurants in the United States – the legendary Durgin-Park – is shutting its doors for good in 3 days.

This restaurant was a haven for me when I was in college in Beantown decades ago – its legendarily rude service, its communal seating, its emphasis on the classics of New England Yankee cookery, all wove themselves into the tapestry of my young life and shaped the future of TFD Himself!

Durgin-Park is/was a centuries-old restaurant at 340 Faneuil Hall Marketplace in downtown Boston. The Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau states that it has been a "landmark since 1827", and it continued to be a popular tourist destination within Quincy Market. Its slogans included "Established before you were born" and "Your Grandfather and perhaps Your Great Grandfather dined with us, too!".

The first restaurant at this former warehouse was opened in 1742, and was purchased in 1827 by John Durgin and Eldridge Park, becoming a Boston landmark. By 1840, Durgin & Park took on John G. Chandler as a third partner. It was this trio that established the concepts of food and service that have remained essentially unchanged.

During the Reconstruction era—after the deaths of Durgin and Park—Chandler continued to run the operation and his family owned it until 1945, when it was sold to James Hallett, who ran the operation until 1977, enhancing the restaurant’s national reputation. The restaurant was purchased by the Kelley family in 1972, and sold by them to Ark Restaurants in January 2007, who just had the temerity to put a bullet into the head of the last Unicorn.

In keeping with its long history, the concept of Durgin-Park maintained the tradition of communal seating at long tables. The menu was designed to offer traditional New England-style fare with a concentration on seafoods, chowders, broiled meats and boiled dinners. At its height, Durgin-Park served more than 1,000 diners on an average Saturday evening.

The service is also a partial hold-over from the time of its founding, as the waitstaff have been encouraged to adopt a "surly" attitude and "backtalk" – The waitresses have a reputation for their long memories: the second time you come in, you get the same thing you ordered the first time–unless you speak fast. Another sign of its heritage is that it has only changed head chefs a handful of times in its history.

As noted on the restaurant’s website:

Boston’s Traditional Baked Beans: Durgin-Park Restaurant puts the Bean in BEANTOWN

No dish is so authentically Bostonian and inexplicably enticing as Boston baked beans. It’s hard to imagine any New England adventure being complete without a savory bowlful of baked beans that fueled the patriots during the American Revolution. But the dish is only part of the historic cultivation; the real experience comes from enjoying this hearty dish in the unique atmosphere of Durgin-Park Restaurant.

Built in the 1740’s, Durgin-Park was where merchants, fishermen, meat and produces sellers ate their breakfast and climbed the stairs for a hot plate at lunch. This was back in the days when Samuel Adams and the Sons of Liberty roamed Faneuil Hall to rally colonists and protest taxation without representation.

A Boston tradition, baked beans were one of the original foods eaten by the early Pilgrims and Puritans. Because their religion forbade them from cooking meals on Sundays, they would bake beans in a bean pot on Saturdays, and leave the beans in a hot brick oven overnight. For this reason, baked beans and brown bread became a traditional Sunday meal – a practice that lasted well into the 20th century. Today, Durgin-Park serves up hearty Boston baked beans every day of the week! A BOSTON STAPLE

Durgin-Park’s recipe for baked beans has been a Boston favorite since the mid-1800s. Cooked with salt pork and onions, the preparation begins the night before, to keep the beans moist. The baked beans are cooked in an authentic Durgin-Park bean pot, for that uniquely old-fashioned feel.

Durgin-Park cook Tommy Ryan has prepared this baked bean recipe at the restaurant for more than 40 years. Mercifully, the restaurant’s most famous recipe is out in the public domain, and I shall share not one but TWO different ways to prepare it! The first is slow-cooked in an oven, the way the restaurant has made it for more than 150+ years.

The second way – my personal fave – is to slow-cook the beans in the ashes of a fireplace, as was done by the pilgrims and the first settlers! It adds a smokiness to the beans that is unmatched. I have happily cribbed the directions on how to make the fireplace version from the always impressive crispybits.com – I hope you have the opportunity to try it!

In the oven version, I have tweaked the classic recipe with a touch of smoked sugar (yes, there is such a thing and it’s delicious!) – it isn’t needed in the fireplace method, as it’s already smoky. I’ve also added a bay leaf to both versions, as I think it adds a certain something to the dish – feel free to omit it for the classic recipe.

One item you MUST have to make this dish properly in either version is a proper New England earthenware bean pot – you can buy the right sized one here.

Durgin-Park – you will indeed be missed – and remember my Citizens: memento mori! 🙁

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Hirshon Durgin-Park Boston Baked Beans

Ingredients
    • 1 lb dried pea beans (strongly preferred) or dried navy beans
    • ½ teaspoon baking soda
    • ½ lb top-quality salt pork
    • ½ medium onion (peeled and uncut)
    • 4 tbsp sugar if using fireplace method (2 tbsp if using oven method)
    • 2 tbsp bourbon smoked sugar, if using oven method (omit if using fireplace method)
    • 1 bay leaf (TFD addition, omit for original recipe)
    • â…“ cup molasses
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

Instructions
    1. For the oven method:
    2. Soak beans overnight.
    3. In the morning, preheat oven to 325°F. Parboil them for ten minutes with baking soda. Then run cold water through the beans in a colander or strainer. Set aside.
    4. Dice the salt pork into 1-inch squares.
    5. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion and 1 bay leaf.
    6. Put beans in the pot.
    7. Put the remaining salt pork and bay leaf on top of the beans.
    8. Mix the sugars, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with 3 cups of hot water and pour over the beans.
    9. Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven.
    10. Bake for 6 hours.
    11. Check pot periodically to make sure the amount of liquid is okay.
    12. Add water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist; DO NOT FLOOD THEM. Just "top them up".
    13. Remove the pot from the oven and serve.
    14. To make the fireplace version:
    15. It helps to have a large quantity of reserved fireplace ash on hand to create a mound with a well in the center for the beanpot.
    16. Plan ahead of time. The beans cook for 6+ hours, and you need to have a fire that’s been burning for at least 2 hours to have enough embers to keep the beanpot at a low simmer.
    17. If you plan to have your beans with dinner at 7 PM, that means you need to start your fire by 11 AM at the latest. If you don’t already have reserved fireplace ash, plan on starting the fire at least 4 hours before putting the beans in.
    18. When it’s time to set the beans in the fireplace, create a mound of ashes and embers about 5 inches deep and make a well in the center to hold the beanpot. Make sure the mound is 6-12 inches away from the fire, otherwise the beans will boil instead of slowly simmering.
    19. Follow the recipe directions from the oven version, but using only regular sugar, no smoker sugar needed here! Put the beanpot in place and use your fireplace shovel to build up more ash around the sides.
    20. Keep the fire going, but make sure it’s not a raging fire. You should only add 1 log at a time, and keep the fire going only enough to keep the beanpot at a low, slow simmer. There should only be bubbles along the edges of the pot closest to the fire or next to some hot embers.
    21. Periodically use your fireplace tongs to place fresh, hot embers around the beanpot to keep it at a simmer.
    22. Check the beanpot every 20-30 minutes and add water whenever the water line goes below the top of the beans.
    23. You always want the cooking liquid to be at the same height or slightly above the top of the beans & salt pork.
    24. During the last 30 minutes, remove the lid and let the liquid cook off so a syrupy texture develops. Stir the beans to prevent the top layer from drying out and to keep the bacon/salt pork from burning.
    25. When the beans are at the desired consistency, remove pot from the fire and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
    26. Notes: If you do not have a 2 quart beanpot, use a Dutch oven or large covered casserole dish.

It's truly a shame to see an establishment of this caliber, an repute fade away into th pages of History....

Comment

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Spoken by a master of beans.

Recipe sounds great. Too bad to lose such a long standing restaurant.

Comment

Everything was fascinating about this post. As I sit here in the ER of my local hospital (just a minor problem with my wife at 3:30 am), the history lesson is to be relished. The recipe I would like to try in a CI Dutch Oven on a grill. We shall see. Thanks much!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I would like that too!
        Hope all goes well FireMan

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re very welcome and hope everyone is ok!!!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that idea too!

Durgin-Park webpage http://www.durginparkrestaurant.com/

Comment

In my ignorance, who is TFD?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan The Food Dictator - https://www.thefooddictator.com/ Hope everyone is well there!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Everything is ok, just a minor adjustment of something. Life goes on. Thanks everyone for the concern.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here