Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas beans

Made a pot of Texas beans using some of Grannies recipe. Used 3 thick cut strips of maple bacon, 1-1/2# navy beans. Soaked them overnight (about 20 hrs.) and followed the science of beans instructions on preparing them. Used 5 cloves garlic, one big onion, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspn black pepper, cayenne,smoked paprika, 1 tablspn smoked sea salt, 2 cans Rotel, 3 bay leaves and about 30-32 oz low sodium chicken broth. I fried the bacon, onions and garlic and added everything to the crock pot. Cooked on high for 6 hrs. They were out of this world good. Ate them with grilled Ukrainian smoked Kolibas from a Ukrainian butcher in NYC. Bought 5# smoked and 3# raw. Froze it all and drove back to Texas. The best I ever had.

Sounds delish!

Comment

Sounds awesome!

Comment

Sounds good - Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome. I always used a tested one for a base then alter it to my taste, which is a little hotter.

Lovin it, many thanks fer sharin!

Comment

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to share

One would think that along with such fine write-up of a wonderful cook that one would see some equally wonderful photographs of aforementioned cook.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.
          But it sure sounds good.

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have time to take pictures. I cook. If you want a picture of beans find one that you like.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch mad mike, no offense intended. If you follow this site regularly you'd notice a common theme among many of us for chiding each other, good-naturedly, for not posting pics of their cooks. I humbly withdraw my comments and apologize for offending you.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; August 6, 2018, 06:53 PM.

Bet if you threw those in the smoker with some hickory or pecan it would add a little to what sounds like an amazing dish.

Comment

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time I'm finishing them under a rack of pork belly.

• MNKennicutt
          MNKennicutt commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds amazing

No offense taken Captain Mike. I'm just not into taking pictures most of the time.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a similar kind of guy. Too busy taking in what's happening around me. Which is not to say I don't appreciate it when others share pics.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here