Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something unclear in Bourbon Baked Beans Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something unclear in Bourbon Baked Beans Recipe

Question about: Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans Recipe By Meathead Goldwyn
    Step up your next cookout with this recipe for the ultimate BBQ baked beans featuring a kiss of Bourbon. This will arguably result in the best baked beans you've ever had, certain to wow your guests. While there are a lot of ingredients, it's actually quick and easy to assemble then stew to perfection.

There is a line in there which says
    Optional add-ins. Add 1 teaspoon American chili powder or ancho powder and/or 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves (not powder). Add 1 tart apple such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, peeled, cubed, and add it with the whiskey.

Only one little problem... there does not seem to be any place where it says when to ADD THE WHISKEY. Should it be added along with "everything else"?
    Now common sense would seem to say at the very end so that it does not all boil off, but I am not sure. That would leave the apples crisp and maybe a nice contrast, but ???
    SO, could someone clear this up a little bit?

I just had a look at the recipe and saw this:

"4) Add 3 cups of hot water or stock and everything else including the bacon."

I would assume that the bourbon would fall into the "everything else" category ...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      bourbon never falls into the "everything else" category ... but that probably is when you should add it in the recipe

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha ecowper, you win chuckle-of-the-day!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike there would be nothing funny at all about putting Bourbon in the everything else category ;-)

WOW! This recipe has changed over time! Glad I printer the original for future use!

Comment

With Bourbon, I always reckon, if in doubt, add it several times, to acheive th Desired results...

Seriously, were it me, vs yer common sense approach: If ya add it late, like ya said, then ya jus git a lil taste o bourbon, in yer sauce...

If ya add it earlier than the very end, why, it actually will cook in, infuse yer ingredients with some bourbon flavour, before cookin off/evaporatin th alcohol...
      This is how I was taught/have always done, but: I could be doin it all wrong!

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's probably better added frequently to the cook, and only once to the ingredients. 😂

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill lol! Mebbe so, up to a point
        I humbly submit that this is why we have "tastin spoons"
        I check whenever I stir.
        Temp, texture, smoke, tenderness, taste(s)
        If my palatte was already chock fulla bourbon, why then I'd most likely over-use it, in my beans.

And if ya put it in the smoker it never boils. Just evaporates so be sure to stir often

Comment

Many thanks, but still looking for an answer... when should you put in the APPLES?

Comment

Originally posted by NightwatchRenBand View Post
          Many thanks, but still looking for an answer... when should you put in the APPLES?
          Again, checking the recipe where it says: "Optional add-ins. Add 1 teaspoon American chili powder or ancho powder and/or 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves (not powder). Add 1 tart apple such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, peeled, cubed, and add it with the whiskey."

The apples are to be added with the whiskey ... which would seem to be included into the "everything else" step.

Comment

Just now reading this and to answer your original question, reread the recipe. under the paragraph titled "Method" step 4 says, "4) Add 3 cups of hot water or stock AND EVERYTHING ELSE." This is where the bourbon gets added along with the optional ingredients of your choice. I'm planning a twist on this tomorrow as I smoke a big old Prime brisket that I just got at Costco for $3.79 a lb. Hope you beans were awesome!

Comment

I have a whiskey bean recipe that we like very much. One trick is to sample the whiskey often, it can go bad quickly. Also consume any left over whiskey to keep it from going rancid...

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Great tips. And if you have more than one bottle on hand then you really should cross sample a few of them to make sure they're all in an acceptable state at all times. For science and safety.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                A man who takes care of essential business is a man you can trust!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                We musta come outta th same culinary background, Brother!
                Leave us not waste a drop, in vain...

I have learned that there are three types of men in this world, EdF Those that can count, and thise that cant.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Some people have a way with words, others no have way.

Cooking BBB recipe for the first time, I am not one to question meathead's recipes, but 3 cups of water/stock sounds like quite a bit when using canned beans. Any chance that is only for cooking with dried beans? Any comments from those with experience?

Comment

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                I make these all the time. I don't use water I sub with beef broth. I triple the recipe and use either the low sodium or the no salt by Swanson I use 1 and 3/4 box of it. so for the reg portion of it, I would say it is not even 4 cups. I just pour it in till the beans are pretty much covered in my pan that I am using to smoke with I let it smoke as im cooking brisket on top for 4 hours stirring every once in awhile. I then take to the oven and still stir till the briskets are done

It does. I make mine very similar. Don't think I add water. I do add the Heinz chili sauce and some hot sauce though. If you try it with less water, just make sure it doesn't dry out...

Comment

• djl
                djl commented
                Editing a comment
                Recipe does call for draining the beans...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here