Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Baked Beans Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Baked Beans Question

I'm planning on making a huge batch of Meathead's Boston Baked Beans recipe. I made it last week and my wife loved them. However, the recipe doesn't specify whether or not you should drain and rinse the beans before using. Does rinsing prevent some of the gas after eating? Is there another reason to not use the liquid in the can?

If it doesn't make a difference either way, I'll use the liquid in the can because that's what I did last week and it turned out well.

I always use th liquid, if it helps ya any. I figger if it's too wet, it'll cook down, an that's better than burnin an stickin...

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Wouldn't be worrying about the gas either - you're likely among friends and loved ones who will forgive it!

Maybe even be amused by it!

Comment

I rinse only because I want the beans, not what they're soaking in. Probably makes no difference in the end, but that's how I roll...

Comment

The gas signature you produce is your own unique flammable aroma. So, as EdF says, hey your among friends, does anybody give a rip!
        That reminds me of a saying I once heard: "Nice rip man!"

Comment

It is the large carbohydrates or complex sugars (I can't remember which) that cause the gas. They are water soluble; so, rinsing will supposedly help. Of course the more often you eat beans the better your body can handle (digest) the complex sugars or carbohydrates... I read a recipe that indicated celery helped. So, I through in a stalk and remove before serving (like you would bay leaves).

Comment

I rinse canned beans since the are packed in a sodium solution. I don’t want the added salt. I think it’s really up to your taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here